Make a donation

Author Topic: Need an intercooler for my edition 30 (help)  (Read 1266 times)

Offline fahim4094

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
Need an intercooler for my edition 30 (help)
« on: December 11, 2019, 06:45:27 pm »
Hi Guys,

I've got an edition 30 DSG stage 2+ I need a new intercooler for my car - I'm not looking to pay too much for an intercooler can you recommend me a good intercooler for my edition 30.

Not looking to pay for Airtec or Darkside intercooler - anything around £350 max I'll pay.

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
Re: Need an intercooler for my edition 30 (help)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 07:40:00 pm »
S3 intercooler from dark side or eBays version

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RobC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 12:49:08 pm »
Out of interest, has anyone ever used one of the Intercoolers available on Autodoc? They are OE replacements so have the alloy end tanks, just wondered if anyone had any experience with the quality? This one for instance can be had for less than £160 (through the app) and has and average of 4 star reviews from 30+ people!

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/van-wezel/8599199

Its a mod Im looking to do myself in the future so be good to know.

Rob
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 12:57:37 pm by RobC »

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 01:22:13 pm »
I ordered an S3 cooler from autodoc last year and received one with gti thickness (32mm) rather than the proper 40mm as described online. Was a complete PITA to return it to them as the double boxing it came in generated oversized carrier charges and I was getting quotes of @£75. I ended up sending it back in the single box which slipped into the normal dimension charges. There was then a little dance about refunding my money rather than holding it as a credit for future purposes.

If you look more closely at at the one you linked, it says plastic end tanks rather than the earlier aluminium shown in the photo. Not that that should be an issue as they supposedly flow better however I would be a little cautious about using this seller.

Offline RobC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 02:21:49 pm »
I ordered an S3 cooler from autodoc last year and received one with gti thickness (32mm) rather than the proper 40mm as described online. Was a complete PITA to return it to them as the double boxing it came in generated oversized carrier charges and I was getting quotes of @£75. I ended up sending it back in the single box which slipped into the normal dimension charges. There was then a little dance about refunding my money rather than holding it as a credit for future purposes.

If you look more closely at at the one you linked, it says plastic end tanks rather than the earlier aluminium shown in the photo. Not that that should be an issue as they supposedly flow better however I would be a little cautious about using this seller.

Ah good spot about the plastic tanks! There is this one which could still be very good value for money although I admit receiving it to find out its the wrong dimensions would be a complete pain!

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/nissens/7768616

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 05:55:58 pm »
Tbh I know the internet says you need alloy ends however The Bruce had some factory insider tell him that the later plastic version flowed better. Likely all somewhat academic in our cool climate outside of a dyno room...