Make a donation

Author Topic: Oil pressure warning - no VCDS codes  (Read 1410 times)

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
Oil pressure warning - no VCDS codes
« on: December 16, 2019, 11:51:08 am »
Hi, on Saturday the red oil can icon appeared on my dash whilst driving. I pulled over, checked the oil level and scanned the car for any codes. The oil level was good and there were no codes.

I then drove another 150 miles over the weekend and last night I got the low oil pressure warning messages. Again, pulled over and checked for code but the only one that
was there was about intermittant low battery voltage. I have a tiny Odyssy race battery so think that might be the cause of the voltage error in VCDS.

I change my oil and filter every 3-5k miles and the oil pickup pipe was changed about 15 months/18k miles ago.

In VCDS I checked the oil pressure which showed as "ok", this was only at idle though.

In VCDS I also checked the oil pressure when the ignition was on but the engine was off. I saw mention of these test on the AKS website. "If a reading is shown when the engine is not running, while there is no oil pressure currently present in the system, you will more than likely have a faulty sender".
So the oil pressure sender switch sounds to be ok.

Could my pick up pick be gunked up again already?

What else can I check?

Thanks,

Offline RobC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
Re: Oil pressure warning - no VCDS codes
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 01:02:49 pm »
This will be absolutely no help to you whatsoever Im sure but a couple of months back I got in my car, started it up and got the Oil Pressure warning, turn car off and take to a garage etc - I was an hour from home & more than 2 hours from my mechanic! Anyway, long story short, got it recovered there and when he dropped the sump found ZERO issues. Oil was clean, pickup wasnt blocked so for peace of mind he changed the oil and put it all back together and it hasnt happened since. Not the sort of phantom warning you want everyday considering the possible outcomes!

Be interesting to see if anyone else has had similar experience as he commented that 101 times out of 100 it is not the sender at fault  :stupid:

Rob

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 01:33:52 pm »
Thanks Rob. I have just ordered some oil and filter and am debating taking the sump off again to check the pick up pipe. What a pain in the hole.

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 04:55:03 pm »
Any decent garage should be able to check oil pressure

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 09:53:33 pm »
Who replaced the pickup?
They may have used too much sealant, that has oozed out into the sump, occasionally blocking the pickup.