Make a donation

Author Topic: What next after a MK5 GTI....  (Read 3549 times)

Offline kpowell911

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
What next after a MK5 GTI....
« on: December 16, 2019, 06:39:41 pm »
Hi Guys, I recently bought a Cheap 2007 Mk5 GTI and I love it to be honest. Its great to drive, however I have a habit of sinking money into things. The list of mods/changes I Want to make is going to end up costing several times what I paid for the car (mainly rust/bodywork). Financially this isn't a good idea, I also have a K03 model, so Im never going to get big power without spending a fortune....

However, Ideally deep down I want similar but newer. The No brainier suggests a Mk 7 GTI. I've found 'The One' I'd want for a shade over £21k... Its a 3 Door DSG, with Performance Pack, Xenons and Virtual Cockpit. But something in my mind tells me that ID be spending over 10x what I paid for the Mk5 for not much more performance, at least on paper..

The Mk7 Golf R is within budget and seems a no brainier over a GTI, with 300bhp and AWD, but Im sorry, they look NOWHERE near as good or special as the Mk7 GTI, albeit one without the standard wheels....

I can't quite stretch to a newish S3/A45 AMG without a significant deposit/monthly, but not sure what else is there around that money? Its a second car to run along side my work van, I looked a TTS's and Cupra 290's?

IS there anything I missing? Or just stick with the Mk5 and dont go too OTT with the investment?

Thanks in advance

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
Re: What next after a MK5 GTI....
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 07:22:47 pm »
Perhaps an 8P S3 might be a decent compromise? You get 4wd / bigger brakes / k04 engine for sub £10k. Either that or buy a mk5 which someone else has overspent modifying...

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 08:36:02 pm »
Totally agree about the mk7, I'd much rather have a clubsport40 in that price bracket

What about a mk6 R, I think they still look aggressive.
Edition30 #0002 R-Tech Stage2

Offline kpowell911

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 09:22:48 pm »
Totally agree about the mk7, I'd much rather have a clubsport40 in that price bracket

What about a mk6 R, I think they still look aggressive.

Mk6 barely seems any different to the 5 IMO, more of a Mk 5.5.

I had a Scirocco which I adored but dont think I could spend what an R goes for as even the very late ones are dated now inside.

I think Id prefer a very good modified Mk5 GTI Edition 30 over a 8p S3, but Id still need to finance anything above £8k to be honest, and if that's the case I may as well PCP something newer as the monthly's won't be much different

Offline Dunkdafunk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 09:56:27 pm »
Mk5 golf gti. Currently one on ebay that someone has put large ratio gears on and quoted 200mph in the ebay sale. Think its goin for 12k tho. I'd say mk5 golf edition 30 if I had the money, since it's got a k04 and 300bhp plus is easy and they seem to hold value. That or go for an audi s3 and remap.

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 63
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email

Offline Dunkdafunk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 10:39:29 pm »
Yeh! Looks mad. I think the manager from Apr owns it? Or did own it. Can someone buy it please coz I'd love to see if it does over 200mph
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 12:24:46 am by Dunkdafunk »

Offline Mrgreg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2019, 09:26:17 pm »
Mk7 R Is a decent car I have owned a 7.5, but it gets boring really quick I’d stick to the 2wd if you enjoy the handling on the mk5.

Another one to consider is the m135i/m140i.

Cupra is great bang for buck but interior drab compared to vw. If your a fan of the mk5 gti I’d say go mk7 I gti pp

Offline Ytee

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 09:20:09 pm »
Since it's a second car and you're not commuting in it, and assuming it's not also a family wagon, I'd be strongly tempted to keep it, personally.

Why give yourself a monthly repayment you don't need, when the the mk5 is so good? Okay so you can't get 300hp out of the k03, but you can get 260 easily enough, and with a decent set of tyres and maybe some basic suspension mods it'll go like stink. You don't have to plow £10k into it if you just want a fun runaround.

Very personal thing though, you gotta do what you gotta do...

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Stage 1 '07 Mk5 GTI

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2019, 10:37:58 pm »
Have you taken a MK7 out for a test drive?  If not, I suggest you do that before committing yourself. A lot of people like them but I really wasn't impressed.  The MK5 isn't the most communicative of steers, but the MK7's steering like a politician.  Absolutely no idea if it's on the left, the right or in the middle.  Structurally it's a step backwards from the MK5 with sturdy alloy castings being replaced with cheap stamped steel and plastic.

If yours is suffering from tin worm, a lower mileage stage 1 Ed30 with really good suspension and brakes is probably the sweet spot in terms of outlay vs performance.

If you fancy a change from Golfs, the TT-S isn't a bad shout.  CDL K04 engine, aluminium body panels, very tunable and sleak looking.   The 8P S3 is as bland to drive as it is to look at.

If you want 4WD, R32 turbo.  Nothing else in the Golf/A3/TT platform comes close for noise and power, except maybe the 5 pot Audis.....but they're big bucks.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

willni

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2019, 10:53:52 pm »
Have you taken a MK7 out for a test drive?  If not, I suggest you do that before committing yourself. A lot of people like them but I really wasn't impressed.  The MK5 isn't the most communicative of steers, but the MK7's steering like a politician.  Absolutely no idea if it's on the left, the right or in the middle.  Structurally it's a step backwards from the MK5 with sturdy alloy castings being replaced with cheap stamped steel and plastic.

Funny you say that, I found the GTI PP an awful driver but the mk7 GTD a great driving car. Personally though I'd be buying a F30 335D for £17k with 20k miles, since they come with every option, a 6 cylinder and are the best driver about in that range.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2019, 11:16:59 pm »
The GTD is really good after a remap  :happy2:

Good shout on the Bimmer.   For me I'd go with the earlier 330D with the iron block and solenoid injectors.  More reliable, especially with remaps and/or bigger turbos.
The 335d with the piezo injectors are known to cause problems when tuning them.

A 330D with GT2876 or some such turbo and a remap is good for a solid 400hp and 550ish torque.   Great engine, but I'm not sold on the looks personally.  Not really a fan of modern Bimmers.  Give me an E30 any day of the week  :smiley:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline jaffa

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 44
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90080.0.html
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2019, 11:25:25 am »
I always thought that after my gti I would get an s3, then my brother got a 8v s3 and I absolutely hated everything about it.

Turns out it was the most boring and bland car I have ever driven not to mention the most uncomfortable.

I find it difficult to think what car i want next everything just looks the same I was hoping the mk8 was going to be better but to me it’s just as ugly as the mk7.

So it looks like I’m sticking with my mk5 and my mk1 project I haven’t touched in years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline William.Ed727

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2019, 12:09:45 pm »
I had this when I was coming from my mk5 1.9tdi was thinking of going mk7 gti, then had a look at gti Edition 30s and tbf you can pretty much get the same figures out of an edition 30 with just a basic map, but it’s all personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wacky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2019, 01:14:57 pm »
I'm in a similar dilemma - I have a stage 1 ed30 which I've owned for 7.5 years but its done 107k now so my mind starts thinking how long before things start to go wrong with it.  still love it but always got to be one step ahead..
some of the things you guys are saying about ed30's are making me think to keep it though !