Make a donation

Author Topic: Asymmetric Tyre Advice Needed Please....  (Read 15324 times)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: Asymmetric Tyre Advice Needed Please....
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 08:40:56 pm »
@ Poverty:I was deriding VFM in a totally different context (buying the Golf R). Even now re tyres, I'm not being principally led by VFM - It's just you jumping on every opportunity. Yes you do push things to the limit - Not wise IMO.
Anyway, your posted list of review conclusions is useful and certainly favours the GY F1 Asymm, so I might stay with it - I'm not unhappy with them in the slightest, wet or dry.Over on SCN it seems DJHorace is the only unhappy one with the Vreds and he seems mostly driven by his desire to clock high rolling-road numbers:
I am bummed I bought 4 of the Sessantas to be honest for the reasons I posted above, especially because I wont get a proper r/r reading out of them until I change to something that does not spin on the rollers - like F1 Assymetrics.
That's strange!!I have Vred's on my car and have no issues getting decent dyno results :laugh:

no issues with my vreds. im presuming he is into traffic light gran prix's if he has done his tyres in in a few thousand miles. i still have about 5mm or treard left on them after about 8K and that includes about alot of laps of the ring

but i do agree with hurdy. use the tyres you are happy with.  if you were happy with your F1's id see no reason to swap

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2010, 08:43:56 pm »

That's strange!!

I have Vred's on my car and have no issues getting decent dyno results :laugh:

Yes but you take half the peeps at the meet out on a death trip.  :scared:   :grin:

So your tyres are smoking by the time you get on the rollers.  :wink:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2010, 09:12:35 pm »

That's strange!!

I have Vred's on my car and have no issues getting decent dyno results :laugh:

Yes but you take half the peeps at the meet out on a death trip.  :scared:   :grin:

So your tyres are smoking by the time you get on the rollers.  :wink:

True, true, but no-ones died yet :laugh:
Golf R gone.

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2010, 10:26:14 pm »

....I've never had a problem with deeper treads on the rear axle. Besides, they'd be worn in before I get there.

My plan was to buy a pair of Vredestein asymmetrics not another pair of Goodyear asymmetrics. So are you suggesting I'd be better off with the newer Vreds on the front?

Its not the fact that the treads are deeper, the New rubber needs to be scrubed in before it works properly, it will make a differance to grip when this is complete, ive always noticed a definate improvement in grip after a few miles on new tyres,
Ive also read a few places that people reccon the new assymetrics need more bedding than the previous gsd3s.

Im not recommending you buy the vredesteins for the front, just give them some time to bed in if the rears are new, if the tyres are not new and have already done a few miles,  im not sure whats up.
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline SteveTDCi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2010, 10:55:55 pm »
i'm torn between the F1's and the Vrdies, i've always used the goodyears in the past and i'm sure thats the way to go, but the ultras look good and are cheap enough to allow me to use them just for summer and buy a winter set for the winter. If track use is your thing I would have thought you would be better off buying a more track orientaited tyre although i'd never go for toyo after a bad experience but thats just my opinion.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2010, 12:02:36 am »

i'm torn between the F1's and the Vrdies, i've always used the goodyears in the past and i'm sure thats the way to go, but the ultras look good and are cheap enough to allow me to use them just for summer and buy a winter set for the winter. If track use is your thing I would have thought you would be better off buying a more track orientaited tyre although i'd never go for toyo after a bad experience but thats just my opinion.

....A road legal tyre such as the R1R, as Poverty suggests, is obviously a good choice for trackdays and one option is to have an extra set of alloys with different rubber but that option isn't practical for me. Besides, my prime car use is 'fast road' and perhaps only 2 or 3 trackdays per year (all in Europe and none in the UK so far). I'm not confident that R1R's or similar would offer what the asymmetric Goodyears have already demonstrated to me. Yes, the R1R's would be faster but I'm not chasing lap times.

We each modify, or not, our 'chariots' differently. For me, I want to keep the comfort of the Golf and not have to keep swapping things around such as tyres or brake pads - I'd rather settle on one setup which suits everything I do. My Recaros, and not a track bucket seat, is a good example: Very supportive for both fast road use and occasional track days or the Nurdleburgering. Same with my suspension: One setup which works allround. You could say that such an approach is a compromise and isn't milking the max, but it suits me.

:happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2010, 07:59:53 am »
robin , read the ps 3 report in this months audi driver ,they sound pretty impressive  :happy2:

Offline golfman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 33
  • If your not first your last!!!
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69645.0.html
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2010, 08:36:20 am »
Ive just put 2 new assys on my rears as i needed 2 new tyres,i thought about vrdies but to be honest i have goodyear eagle f1's on my 17" alloys and i really like them so for me the choice was obvious when it came 2 2 new tyres for my interlagos :happy2:

scott

Modded The Way I Like It!!!!!!
Vag-com Hex+Can in scotland
I Hate Timewasters...

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2010, 10:19:05 am »

....A road legal tyre such as the R1R, as Poverty suggests, is obviously a good choice for trackdays and one option is to have an extra set of alloys with different rubber but that option isn't practical for me. Besides, my prime car use is 'fast road' and perhaps only 2 or 3 trackdays per year (all in Europe and none in the UK so far). I'm not confident that R1R's or similar would offer what the asymmetric Goodyears have already demonstrated to me. Yes, the R1R's would be faster but I'm not chasing lap times.

We each modify, or not, our 'chariots' differently. For me, I want to keep the comfort of the Golf and not have to keep swapping things around such as tyres or brake pads - I'd rather settle on one setup which suits everything I do. My Recaros, and not a track bucket seat, is a good example: Very supportive for both fast road use and occasional track days or the Nurdleburgering. Same with my suspension: One setup which works allround. You could say that such an approach is a compromise and isn't milking the max, but it suits me.

The out of the factory comfort of the Golf is severely compromised by fitting mounts, heavily modded suspension, intakes etc, is it not?

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2010, 11:23:28 am »
The out of the factory comfort of the Golf is severely compromised by fitting mounts, heavily modded suspension, intakes etc, is it not?

Not if done right. The stock suspension is crashy over uneven surfaces. An aftermarket suspension with adjustable damping can be much smoother and more comfortable. Engine mounts will give more NVH, but it doesn't upset suspension and in fact I've found that it helps with the feel of the car. An intake will compromise NVH unless you go for something like a Carbonio. :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2010, 11:27:08 am »

....Yes and no, my friend.

Yes: Out of factory comfort is certainly compromised but your use of the word "severely" suggests a strong negative. I already know from your previous posts that such mods as aftermarket mounts and suspension constitute a severe compromise as far as your own car and preference is concerned and I do respect that. But in this case what is a severe compromise to comfort for your good self is an enhancement or improvement for me - I simply love the more tactile feedback and sounds and I also fully appreciate that an ex-factory production car would not be so attractive to the masses other than how they are. Most people want a quiet and caccooned smoothness but I actually feel less comfortable driving such cars - I use the term "comfortable" to mean happy and more in control rather than a degree of luxury. I find it a bit strange that some people expect that luxury feel of a large limo such as a big Audi in a hatchback Golf anyway.

To me, my modified car is very comfortable - I've been able to modify the factory car to what suits me better. Stripping it out or changing the seats might compromise what I find comfortable.. possibly.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2010, 12:03:38 pm »
ok, just get confused by the use of the word 'comfort' by you, after your multiple posts about focused fast road/track orientated cars, which I think you car is heading towards, given the state of the UK road, and such things as speed humps, car park entrances, cambers etc.

Just got a touch confused there.  Perhaps focused would be a better choice of term?

FWIW I found the old F1's a cracking tyre, my brother however has the assymetrics on his car, and will be changing to PS2/3 next time.  He found the GY Assy to be a poor tyre, will quiz him on why.

Just to add, after a long haul VWR are taking my car away to sort the diff out, and I have refused the Red Golf.  I just don't like it.  I don't find it comfortable at all, or I didn't last time I had it.

It is probably perfect for the track, not for the road.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 12:14:15 pm by stokeballoon »

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2010, 12:08:34 pm »
I tmight be worth also noting that I was a hard goodyear eagle f1 assy devout. Im now running toyo r1rs as a everyday tyre, and I have to say that as long as the temp isnt stone cold, the r1rs are out performing the eagle f1s in every situation at the moment.

More steering feel, more dry and wet grip, more predictable, tried to get them to aquaplane  but they handled the massive puddles and standing water fine.

However on greasy roads where the temp is around 1 degrees or less they are dogs. But for summer duty they are the number 1 tyre imo to run everyday.

Will run R1R's in the summer, and either vreds or f1 assys in the winter.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2010, 12:26:12 pm »

ok, just get confused by the use of the word 'comfort' by you, after your multiple posts about focused fast road/track orientated cars, which I think you car is heading towards, given the state of the UK road, and such things as speed humps, car park entrances, cambers etc.

Just got a touch confused there.  Perhaps focused would be a better choice of term?

FWIW I found the old F1's a cracking tyre, my brother however has the assymetrics on his car, and will be changing to PS2/3 next time.  He found the GY Assy to be a poor tyre, will quiz him on why.

....Yes, "focussed" is a good term. Where my car is compromised is speed humps: I just have to take them very slowly indeed but that's what they're there for and I don't mind. Car parks: I can't risk most ramps in most indoor carparks but I always manage to park somewhere. Cambers? if you mean like the Ring's Karussell, no problem; If you mean like a farm track with a raised centre, yes a big problem. But am I bothered? No, I just accept the compromises and enjoy what she does well.

I'd love to hear what your bro didn't like about the GY Asymm. I liked the GY F1 Eagle directional too.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2010, 12:32:26 pm »

However on greasy roads where the temp is around 1 degrees or less they are dogs. But for summer duty they are the number 1 tyre imo to run everyday.

....The greasy dogs bit is what kills it for me. In the UK, any day can serve you a greasy road. But I can see why one solution is to do what you are doing.

This thread has shown me what I thought: Best to either change all 4 tyres or continue with a pair of GY Asymms. I'll continue with a pair of GY Asymms this time.