Make a donation

Author Topic: Asymmetric Tyre Advice Needed Please....  (Read 15337 times)

Offline Poverty

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
Re: Asymmetric Tyre Advice Needed Please....
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2010, 12:39:40 pm »

However on greasy roads where the temp is around 1 degrees or less they are dogs. But for summer duty they are the number 1 tyre imo to run everyday.

....The greasy dogs bit is what kills it for me. In the UK, any day can serve you a greasy road. But I can see why one solution is to do what you are doing.

This thread has shown me what I thought: Best to either change all 4 tyres or continue with a pair of GY Asymms. I'll continue with a pair of GY Asymms this time.

The assys, are a good tyre, although they didnt make as much of a differnce to my leon as the GSD3 f1s did to my ibiza. Obviously its hard to compare, but the GSD3' just stuck to the road like glue, but it could be down to the fact that the ibiza weighed around 1100kg and had 205/45/17s as std.

I think the greasy roads in the summer wont hinder the r1rs, however a greasy road when its cold outside does, because you can never carry enough speed to get any heat into the tyres. Although they are dogs in the cold, they are super predictable and communicative so you know where the limits are till the nose starts to push wide.

Jurys out on how long these tyres will last, my f1s usually manage 4000 miles on the front of spirited driving.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2010, 12:54:03 pm »

I think the greasy roads in the summer wont hinder the r1rs, however a greasy road when its cold outside does, because you can never carry enough speed to get any heat into the tyres. Although they are dogs in the cold, they are super predictable and communicative so you know where the limits are till the nose starts to push wide.

....I think I should perhaps shortlist the R1R's for my consideration next time. I have the advantage of a TyreSure monitor which updates itself every 5 seconds - A very useful gizmo even for just everyday use and very reassuring.

I think it's definitely true that some tyres suit some cars better than others.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline SteveTDCi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2010, 02:57:20 pm »

....I think I should perhaps shortlist the R1R's for my consideration next time. I have the advantage of a TyreSure monitor which updates itself every 5 seconds - A very useful gizmo even for just everyday use and very reassuring.

I think it's definitely true that some tyres suit some cars better than others.

hmm why not just have the tps system that comes standard, it seems to work, ok it doesn't notify you of small changes in pressure but does let you know when they drop a little too much, mine works well enough and is standard fit isn't it?

Saint Steve

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2010, 02:59:46 pm »
you might want to read the vreds thread over on scn. DjHorace for example wont be buying another set.
Link please ??

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2010, 03:04:48 pm »

you might want to read the vreds thread over on scn. DjHorace for example wont be buying another set.

Link please ??

....Link posted in earlier reply:

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=229804&highlight=camskill+sessanta

:happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Saint Steve

« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2010, 03:16:56 pm »
Cheers Robin  :drinking:

Seems as if Djhorace is the only person that doesnt like them. Lots of praise from lots of fellow forum users.

I still rate them very highly, even though they may appear to take longer to put heat into them, or perhaps a harder compound then the Ps3's, but on the + side, they wont wear out as fast i guess.

Im not a bhp big number hunter, but on the roads have had no issues with handling whatsoever.

Will be keeping with these for the time being.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 03:27:39 pm by Saint Steve »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2010, 03:20:16 pm »

hmm why not just have the tps system that comes standard, it seems to work, ok it doesn't notify you of small changes in pressure but does let you know when they drop a little too much, mine works well enough and is standard fit isn't it?

....IMO there's absolutely no comparison - It's like the difference between eating chalk and cheese.

The oem TPS system on the Golf merely informs you of a loss of tyre pressure (if you remember to reset it everytime you top up) and crucially doesn't tell you in which tyre a loss of pressure occurs. Neither does it tell you what your pressures actually are.

Not only does the TyreSure display the exact pressure (psi or bar) in each tyre and update it every 5 seconds but if there is a pressure loss you'll know which tyre. Furthermore, tyre temperatures (Cº or Fº) are similarly displayed and the unit will automatically toggle between temp and pressure. The temp is less critical for road use but still educational and particularly useful if running on say R1R's or R888's I reckon.

I accept of course that some people prefer their car to look oem but I ask myself which is more important: The info displayed to the driver or having an oem look?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 03:24:22 pm by RedRobin »

Offline truegrit

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2010, 03:59:20 pm »
Hi Guys
I'm still unlucky enough to be on my original Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres after  3 years and 15000 miles . MoT'd  yesterday and told tyres need changing soon :). With a stage 1 Revo  I' m getting wheelspin(in the wet/damp) in 1/2/3 gears .When i change to VRED ULTRAC SESSANTA or  F1 ASYMMETRICS (not decided yet), I presume  I will notice an improvement in traction , handling and reduced wheelspin ?
It doesn't  sound as if there is  much to choose betweeen them both?

Saint Steve

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2010, 04:08:18 pm »
Hi Guys
I'm still unlucky enough to be on my original Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres after  3 years and 15000 miles . MoT'd  yesterday and told tyres need changing soon :). With a stage 1 Revo  I' m getting wheelspin(in the wet/damp) in 1/2/3 gears .When i change to VRED ULTRAC SESSANTA or  F1 ASYMMETRICS (not decided yet), I presume  I will notice an improvement in traction , handling and reduced wheelspin ?
It doesn't  sound as if there is  much to choose betweeen them both?
^^ Correct. Your Traction control light without the dunlops gets a well earned rest with both the tyres that are recommended.

My Dunlops were woeful and noisey on the road.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2010, 04:15:46 pm »
Hi Guys
I'm still unlucky enough to be on my original Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres after  3 years and 15000 miles . MoT'd  yesterday and told tyres need changing soon :). With a stage 1 Revo  I' m getting wheelspin(in the wet/damp) in 1/2/3 gears .When i change to VRED ULTRAC SESSANTA or  F1 ASYMMETRICS (not decided yet), I presume  I will notice an improvement in traction , handling and reduced wheelspin ?
It doesn't  sound as if there is  much to choose betweeen them both?

....A Warm Welcome to the forum, truegrit  :drinking:

I haven't tried the Vredesteins but I think it's fairly safe to say that there isn't a huge difference between them and Goodyear Asymmetrics. Asymmetric tyres have some significant benefits over directionals according to most reports.

I haven't tried Dunlops on the GTI - They don't have a great reputation!

As to whether they will cure your wheelspin or not, it's not an easy question to answer as there are several factors as well as tyres. The biggest factor is how you use your right foot. Progressive throttle feed is the way forward. Suspension and engine mounts also contribute.

If your MOT is telling you you need new tyres soon, then obviously your grip levels will be reduced.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 04:17:30 pm by RedRobin »

Offline VeeDubDan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2010, 08:19:22 pm »
How many miles are people getting out of the GYs on the front wheels?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 08:22:05 pm by VeeDubDan »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2010, 08:28:12 pm »

How many miles are people getting out of the GYs on the front wheels?

....It really will depend on where and how you drive in a given period. I've never bothered to register the mileage though I expect it will be on the paperwork. I reckon 10k is the minimum and 20k the max I have got out of GY Asymm's but I tend to change when they approach 2.5mm.

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2010, 01:41:28 pm »
Hmm, I'm changing the F1 asym after about 25.000km (5 laps on Nurburgring + many hundred of km driven hard on mountain roads). I now have about 2-3mm left but I'm changing them because, due to the very hard coilovers and small tire size/height (235/35/19), the tyre developped cracks where the horisontal side meets the vertical side (the "corner" of the tire). Don't know the exact word in english for that but hopefully I made myself understood !
Mk5 GTI 6MT - Revo stage 3

Offline veedubbubh

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2010, 08:27:14 pm »
Quick question related to this thread:

Will mixing directional and asymmetic tyres on different axles cause a problem?

Thanks.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2010, 09:00:32 pm »

Quick question related to this thread:

Will mixing directional and asymmetic tyres on different axles cause a problem?

Thanks.

....I'm assuming you mean a matching pair of directionals on one axle and a matching pair of asymmetrics on the other axle.

The answer is yes. I experienced random twitchiness and snatching and ESP kicking in. This would only happen on fast sweeping bends in my case but it was very unnerving. I could drive through it but it's not what you want to feel at high speed on a B-road.

Both pairs were Goodyear and their tech dept thought it was due to differences in tyre wall stiffness but they had never tested their tyres together in that combination.