Make a donation

Author Topic: alternator belt/ chirping  (Read 2873 times)

Offline Russ_leeds

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 16
alternator belt/ chirping
« on: March 07, 2010, 11:32:52 am »
Hi all.
had my car just over a month now and its been back 2 vw 3 times!!! when starting the car from fully cold (stood overnight) there is a loud chirping noise. it went bac and the sed they had changed the alternator belt and this had cured it. got home the next day to find it was back. so booked it back in and this time they have changed the alternator belt, tensioner and pulleys. dont know if this has solved it as i got a phone call telling me the back brake was partly seized on, but they dont have the part in the country!!! dropped it off last monday and still haven't heard owt!

so im driving around in a 1.2 12v polo (yd10) in sunset orange :sad1:.

surely the car should have been checked before i bought it?
Sorry 4 the rant
Black 2007 gti, 18' monza 2, sat-nav, highline, i-pod dock, armrest, 35mm H&R springs, WALK, BCS tbe, autotech front and rear arbs, ITG maxogen, NQSBBK... and more to come

Saint Steve

Re: alternator belt/ chirping
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 02:33:12 pm »
Cam belt tensioner is the problem.

Get them to change it, and that WILL fix it. :happy2:

Myself and several other forum users have had this issue and cured with the above fix fella :happy2:

Offline martziniuk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 07:26:02 pm »
I agree change the tensioner
Mk2 Octavia vRS with K04 conversion, 3"TBE & Decat, APR HPFP, BDM Intake, S3 I/C, Sachs clutch & Unicorn custom map, S3 brakes, AP coilovers, THS mounts.

B8.5 Audi S4 with uprated pulley and unicorn Stage 2

Offline boe3

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 09:37:24 pm »
yep defo the cam belt tensioner i had aux belt and tensioner changed first then the noise was still there dealer said they didint know what it was i told them to check the cam belt and tensioner as i new it was a common problem they agreed changed it now its perfect

Offline Lyons

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 08:38:18 am »
Do you have to get the belt etc changed at the same time, or can you just get the tensioner done and get the rest done near the required time?

How much is tne tensioner plus fitting?

Saint Steve

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 09:43:30 am »
You  HAVE to the belt changed at the same time. Once the belt is lossened off , it has to be thrown.

The labour time it takes to replace the tensioner is the same as having the cambelt done. No harm in getting it fixed earlier if you can afford it, or put up with a Chirpy engine from cold till you can.

Offline Russ_leeds

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 09:44:58 am »
i told them that a friend had the same problem, and it was his cambelt and tensioner, but they sed they had never heard of any problems with them. mite go down and see if the noise has gone and if not ill get them 2 change it.
Black 2007 gti, 18' monza 2, sat-nav, highline, i-pod dock, armrest, 35mm H&R springs, WALK, BCS tbe, autotech front and rear arbs, ITG maxogen, NQSBBK... and more to come

Saint Steve

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 09:49:35 am »
If they havent changed both, then it will, or theyve run your car for 5 minutes before you arrive to hide it  :wink:.

Or get them to read this website and read all posts reference this problem :wink:

Offline Russ_leeds

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 09:59:06 am »
yeah cheers. mite just go turn up so they cant warm it up

Offline Lyons

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 11:43:43 am »
You  HAVE to the belt changed at the same time. Once the belt is lossened off , it has to be thrown.

The labour time it takes to replace the tensioner is the same as having the cambelt done. No harm in getting it fixed earlier if you can afford it, or put up with a Chirpy engine from cold till you can.

Think ill put up with it until the summer when i return back to NI, then get the belt etc done then.