Make a donation

Author Topic: Wheel advice  (Read 3288 times)

Offline Smudgster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Wheel advice
« on: March 06, 2010, 08:42:40 pm »

Offline x5pea

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: Wheel advice
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 08:44:10 pm »
19x8.5 and et 45 should be fine mate,

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 08:58:20 pm »
The problem is you have a nice brake and suspension set up there, and if you have these on your car, all that goodness will disappear. Matsu is selling his LM reps because they ruin the handling of his car.
 They would be ok as show wheels or occasional wheels but in my opinion they are crap for every day use.
Also that spec is the same as my wheels and if you are pushing on, or anything near low you will get rubbing.  :happy2:

Offline Smudgster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 09:04:29 pm »
TC - any recommendations

tbh I like spending and turning my car into a head turner but do occasionally have a blast. In what way did it ruin the ride??

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 09:11:02 pm »
TC - any recommendations

tbh I like spending and turning my car into a head turner but do occasionally have a blast. In what way did it ruin the ride??

You would have to ask Matsu, but i think its down to the weight of them and the tyres they came with. Dont get me wrong, i love LM's thats how i ended up with my works initially.  :smiley:
I have never had reps so it would be wrong for me to judge without trying them but that size and offset will give you loads of trouble if they are heavy.  :happy2:
I have been driving round on white TD's for a few weeks and i hate the look of them, but i am keeping them on as long as i can because light wheels transform the handling.  :wink:

Offline Smudgster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 09:13:42 pm »
tbh i was interested in his rims but didnt like the stretched look of the tyres

would i be right in thinking that 235 35 19's are a more appropiate fit or would that cause mjor rubbing?

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 09:15:11 pm »
235 is the correct size for that width wheel, you could probs get away with 225, but no less than that in my opinion.  :happy2:

Offline matsu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 09:32:44 pm »
Hey mate unfortunately TC is right. I love my lm reps and istill think personally they look beta than nearly every other style
BUT they are not everyday whhels mate!! They need the stretch to stay clear in the arches.
Mine will be back up for sale at end of month -local guy pulled out of sale
and I don't wanna sell them but if u don't mind taking care of how u drive - slower round corners etc. Avoiding potholes like the plague etc. - then ul love them and u can have them. Reluctantly on my behalf.
Matsu.
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 10:30:14 pm »
If I could jump on this thread as I have some wheel troubles at the moment.
I fitted the Scirocco Interlagos alloys on my car. (not sure of the size offhand) tyres are 235/40/18. But even before I had it lowered on my H&R Coilovers the rear rubbed the arches when going over speedbumps/potholes.
Took it to the local tyre place yesterday, and they said that even if I put 225s on then they would still rub, and basically no matter what size tyre I put on will rub, does anyone know if this is true, and I will just have to put up with a life of going around any bumpy street at no more than 10mph?

Offline Smudgster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 10:31:58 pm »
SEarching the net I see other Mk5 Golf's on Porsche turbo rims and AMG rims. How do ppl get these to fit as I would love some different on mine!!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 10:36:06 pm »
If I could jump on this thread as I have some wheel troubles at the moment.
I fitted the Scirocco Interlagos alloys on my car. (not sure of the size offhand) tyres are 235/40/18. But even before I had it lowered on my H&R Coilovers the rear rubbed the arches when going over speedbumps/potholes.
Took it to the local tyre place yesterday, and they said that even if I put 225s on then they would still rub, and basically no matter what size tyre I put on will rub, does anyone know if this is true, and I will just have to put up with a life of going around any bumpy street at no more than 10mph?

You would need to give us the offset and wheel width to be able to judge. But again if the wheels are heavy then as you hit a bump or pot hole the wheel rebounds further. Think of it as a ball on piece of elastic. The heavier the ball the further it will spring back up.
The rears are better than the front for taking wide wheels so i am a bit confused why you are not getting rubbing on the front.  :happy2:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 10:39:15 pm »
^^^^^^ I think the Interlagos are 8''

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 10:40:27 pm »
SEarching the net I see other Mk5 Golf's on Porsche turbo rims and AMG rims. How do ppl get these to fit as I would love some different on mine!!

This is just an illusion you are only looking at pics of them nicely polished with a great stance. If you speak to the owners and they are honest they will tell you what a nightmare they are.  :fighting:  I have been through it with mine. Ended up selling my newish V2's for clubsports just to get low without rubbing.
Any wheel can be made to fit but it will cost you lots. In Money and pain.  :drinking:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 10:41:34 pm »
^^^^^^ I think the Interlagos are 8''

They should fit really unless there is ridiculous offset.  :chicken:

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 10:42:21 pm »
You would need to give us the offset and wheel width to be able to judge. But again if the wheels are heavy then as you hit a bump or pot hole the wheel rebounds further. Think of it as a ball on piece of elastic. The heavier the ball the further it will spring back up.
The rears are better than the front for taking wide wheels so i am a bit confused why you are not getting rubbing on the front.  :happy2:

Cheers mate, I found it sligthly odd that the fronts do not seem to rub.
I will have one of them off over the next couple of days and will check on the wheel width.
I ahve seen others witht hese on their GTI's, and am not aware of any problems.
Thanks