Make a donation

Author Topic: Black magic Mk5 GTI track car  (Read 97799 times)

Offline danishmkvgti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
Re: Black magic Mk5 GTI
« Reply #195 on: March 26, 2013, 08:13:00 am »
Looks good Fuscobal, sorry to hear about the head, are you still having the S3 cam then?  :smiley:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #196 on: March 26, 2013, 12:04:04 pm »
Yes I do...I took only the S3 cams from my head and installed them into the new one !
Mk5 GTI 6MT - Revo stage 3

Offline LukePraoline

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #197 on: March 27, 2013, 06:31:02 pm »
Bet this goes well

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #198 on: April 12, 2013, 06:18:15 pm »
Engine's running perfect, all idle problems disappeared but the clutch is still slipping. It seems the disc has been compromised. Have had this clutch for about 25-30k and need to change the disc as my previous mechanic somehow poured oil on it and it. I'd try to resurface it but don't know if by making the disc thinner won't take some of the pressure plate's force :( My mechanic says it's possible for the pressure plate to also have problems since by slipping the clutch at high speeds (even if it only happened several times) the pressure plate surface may have weakened and lost some of the force (grip level) !
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 06:22:13 pm by fuscobal »

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #199 on: April 12, 2013, 07:12:14 pm »
Engine's running perfect, all idle problems disappeared but the clutch is still slipping. It seems the disc has been compromised. Have had this clutch for about 25-30k and need to change the disc as my previous mechanic somehow poured oil on it and it. I'd try to resurface it but don't know if by making the disc thinner won't take some of the pressure plate's force :( My mechanic says it's possible for the pressure plate to also have problems since by slipping the clutch at high speeds (even if it only happened several times) the pressure plate surface may have weakened and lost some of the force (grip level) !

Out with the old, and in with a LOBA item  :happy2:

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #200 on: April 13, 2013, 06:02:38 am »

Out with the old, and in with a LOBA item  :happy2:

Hmm, you must know something I don't :) Please give me some details. On Loba's website I see these 2 options :

http://www.loba-motorsport.com/shop/audi/a3/8p1-2.0-tdi/190/loba-sachs-vag-2.0-tfsi-/-tdi-stage-2-upgrade-clutch-kit?c=74 > looks identical to what I have now

http://www.loba-motorsport.com/shop/audi/a3/8p1-2.0-tdi/191/loba-sachs-vag-2.0-tfsi-/-tdi-stage-3-upgrade-clutch-kit?c=74 > sintered disc for even more torque, also available directly from Sachs

Prices for the 2 kits are about the same with Sachs so what's the deal ? Are they Sachs but modified by Loba ?

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #201 on: April 13, 2013, 06:56:03 am »
LOBA makes their own flywheel and uses the Sachs clutchplate and cover, works a lot better than the full Sachs version. We have several here in Denmark running these and they are very pleased. Even the Danish APR dealer prefers LOBA clutches over the APR DXD C**p, he just hasn't started shifting LOBA HPFP's yet over the APR  :grin:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 08:25:40 pm by danishmkvgti »

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #202 on: April 13, 2013, 03:18:13 pm »
Thought the technology is in the disc and pressure plate, not the single mass flywheel which is piece of metal (maybe they worked on it's dimensions/mass)

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #203 on: April 13, 2013, 09:58:25 pm »
Use some brake cleaner first and then blotting paper pressed onto the clutch disc and put it into an oven (@ ~ 150° C).
I cannot guarantee it's all perfect then, but at least it's better. It's also the most gentle procedure I can think of.
"You get what you pay for."

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #204 on: April 13, 2013, 11:19:30 pm »
My mechanic cleaned the clutch already and as I'm opening the clutch again I will have to pay for the procedure again so I can't afford to miss again :( I will install a new disc (and pressure plate if needed after the clamp force test) and will resurface the existing disc (will keep this one as a spare)

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #205 on: May 15, 2013, 06:32:52 pm »
Ok, finished the car in time for the may 13th Hungaroring track-day so I went for a real test :) The car behaved quite well and here's the + and - :

+ water temps after the mods were amazing > max 85deg celsius !!!
+ the clutch was fine after the disc change and my mechanic modded the pressure plate (didn't wanna tell me how :) ) so the gearchanges were much better @ low and medium rpms
+ the rear wing seems to have solved the problem since the car was well balanced now (maybe a little understeer, but this may aso be due to the ESP being on)
+ the R888 were quite good and never overheated
+ the Ap Racing brakes are amazing...they stopped very fast and never overheated through the session

- added 1l of oil in 2000km (my new mechanic told me this would happen because the cylinders were pourly honed to 83mm). However, decided to add oil better than going to 83.5mm and replacing the new pistons that I've just installed 1000km before opening the engine again
- the gearchanges are a pain as usual @ high rpm and this slows me down considerably
- ESP is very annoying but was still keeping it on after the trouble I've had @ Nurburgring in 2010 with the LSD...will try to take it off next time as this should bring the car to life

Here's a lap filmed with the Iphone + Harry laptimer + external 5HZ gps module :

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #206 on: May 15, 2013, 07:49:32 pm »
Ok, finished the car in time for the may 13th Hungaroring track-day so I went for a real test :) The car behaved quite well and here's the + and - :

+ the clutch was fine after the disc change and my mechanic modded the pressure plate (didn't wanna tell me how :) ) so the gearchanges were much better @ low and medium rpms
+ the rear wing seems to have solved the problem since the car was well balanced now (maybe a little understeer, but this may aso be due to the ESP being on)
+ the R888 were quite good and never overheated
+ the Ap Racing brakes are amazing...they stopped very fast and never overheated through the session

- added 1l of oil in 2000km (my new mechanic told me this would happen because the cylinders were pourly honed to 83mm). However, decided to add oil better than going to 83.5mm and replacing the new pistons that I've just installed 1000km before opening the engine again
- the gearchanges are a pain as usual @ high rpm and this slows me down considerably
- ESP is very annoying but was still keeping it on after the trouble I've had @ Nurburgring in 2010 with the LSD...will try to take it off next time as this should bring the car to life

Here's a lap filmed with the Iphone + Harry laptimer + external 5HZ gps module :

refresh my memory, why do you leave esp on?
Also, consider a WOT box, it has improved my gearchanges drastically that i use WOT shifts at high rpm, i only rarely has trouble hitting the gears now even though i still have the Sachs uprated SMF kit. :drinking:

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #207 on: May 15, 2013, 09:52:22 pm »

Pretty COOL !!!  :happy2:

Should help increasing engine life significiently - at least I hope so !!

:drinking:

"You get what you pay for."

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #208 on: May 16, 2013, 05:39:55 pm »
Danish, while on Nurburgring 3 years ago, I slightly hit the fence because the LSD suddenly pulled to one side when a wheel caught some sand (I did not touch the vibrator). The steering wheel was almost straight when that happened (far from the grip limit on that area). The WOT box was recommended 2 me by others so I might give it a chance. Since you can only use it at wot, how do you not get confused while changing normally. I mean on a lap you might need to sometimes change at wot (without using the clutch) and others using the clutch !

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #209 on: May 16, 2013, 08:39:53 pm »
Danish, while on Nurburgring 3 years ago, I slightly hit the fence because the LSD suddenly pulled to one side when a wheel caught some sand (I did not touch the vibrator). The steering wheel was almost straight when that happened (far from the grip limit on that area). The WOT box was recommended 2 me by others so I might give it a chance. Since you can only use it at wot, how do you not get confused while changing normally. I mean on a lap you might need to sometimes change at wot (without using the clutch) and others using the clutch !

I use mine for shifts from 3,4 and 5th gear and it's soo easy to use, as i wrote with the WOT box even my sachs smf kit works at high speed. youcan use it in the other gears and on down shifyt but no point to it in my opinion. Just remember no resting the left foor on the clutchpedal no more, or you get misfires  :wink:
Remember to decat your car or the cat gets destroyed by the unburnt gasoline.  :smiley: