Make a donation

Author Topic: Cambelt change - second time?  (Read 8676 times)

Offline Jakesangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Re: Cambelt change - second time?
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2013, 12:36:59 pm »
We bought our '56 plate MK5 Gti in April this year with 44k on the clock. As a result of all the good advice offered here we decided to replace the cambelt and water pump together with a major service including a DSG service as well. It was done by VGS UK (Croydon/ Addington area)and we were charged £780-00 which included collection and delivery off the car. Cant recommend them highly enough, excellent service. Whilst the car was there we were advised that a few other bits would need doing shortly so we got those done as well just to be safe, at extra cost obviously. :happy2:

Offline Leebo310

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2013, 01:54:10 pm »
Any idea why does the service book says 120k then?

I'd have thought the majority of mk5 owners aren't members on here and just go off their service book for the intervals so to be that drastically wrong is pretty bad isn't it?!?

I've been quoted £500 from VW for everything so not too bad but just curious as to why the service book is so different.
55 plate GTI DSG / Revo remap / Miltek cat back exhaust / Evolution Motorsport Induction Kit / Sony XAV 62-BT head unit/ LED Rear numberplate lights

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2013, 03:50:11 pm »
When I got my MK5 I looked at cam belt change in handbook, oh its a gt tdi. I had a Mk4 gt tdi for 10yrs previously and it was 80,000. Now the Mk5 handbook stated 100,000 , so I thought that's good they have increased it. But on checking with dealer, it had gone back to the MK4 5yrs 80,000 miles.
So I'm guessing VW changed their minds and went back to shorter mileages after some failures in the real world???
GT TDI sport 140 08plate,RCD510 DAB, leather armrest, euro cup holder

Offline ukdub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2013, 06:11:01 pm »
I've had 3 done with the car on 142k
Laser Blue with K04 power, APR hardware controlled by REVO 2+ software
Chassis by KW V3's, Whiteline and a hint of PRO race 1.2's
Brakes by Brembo 4 pots