Make a donation

Author Topic: DSG - Flashing "D" sat in traffic.  (Read 11739 times)

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 14
DSG - Flashing "D" sat in traffic.
« on: April 27, 2010, 10:16:11 am »
Hi All

Sat in traffic this morning for ages, inching forwards every few mins.  Out of habit every time I stop I knock the DSG into "N".

Went to put it into "D" and there was no drive and the "D" was just flashing.  After a heart stopping panic, put it into "N" then back to "D" and everything was fine.

Just wondering if this is the norm, well not normal, but nowt to worry about? Just a spanner in the works for a moment.

Cheers

Lee
No Golf anymore. 
Enjoyed the last five years of ownership of Mk5 & 6 GTIs.
Plus an excellent forum for knowledge and new ways to deplete the bank account.
Thank You Everyone.

Ifti

Re: DSG - Flashing "D" sat in traffic.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 10:18:44 am »
For short stops I never used to take it out of D.
I only ever put it into N when I was at traffic lights, or stantionary in heavy traffic for a longer period of time.

Offline S2 Ant

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 10:22:02 am »
A flashing sounds like that Mechatronic issue, i've seen clips of it doing that when its on its way out - might not be that as my experience with these cars isnt much yet, but thats what i've seen before.
Ant

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 10:23:41 am »
Will get the VAGCOM out tonight see if any errors are logged.  Funny rear right brake light blew this morning too.

One of them days.

No Golf anymore. 
Thank You Everyone.

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 10:31:02 am »
The people with mechatronic issues had flashing symbols, but I believe it can also be for over-heating (something I think I read but cant be sure where) was it just the D that flashed or all the symbols?  Hopefully Vagcom will have the answer.

might be worth reading this wiki article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-Shift_Gearbox has some interesting insights into the box, and I was suprised by the statement of moving it into N if stationary for a long time, I have always been a leave it in D with the brake fully depressed, as assumed it was fully disenaged clutch with 1st ready not sat on the bite point.

Those with paddles may also find the stopping it kicking down line interesting, havent been able to test yet since only driven round town.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 11:44:55 am »
The people with mechatronic issues had flashing symbols, but I believe it can also be for over-heating (something I think I read but cant be sure where) was it just the D that flashed or all the symbols?  Hopefully Vagcom will have the answer.

might be worth reading this wiki article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-Shift_Gearbox has some interesting insights into the box, and I was suprised by the statement of moving it into N if stationary for a long time, I have always been a leave it in D with the brake fully depressed, as assumed it was fully disenaged clutch with 1st ready not sat on the bite point.

Those with paddles may also find the stopping it kicking down line interesting, havent been able to test yet since only driven round town.

You should treat it as a normal gearbox, in regards to short stops, if it is only going to be a quick stop then you would leave it in drive, just like in a stick shift, if you are going to stop for a very short period, you would just come out of gear and place it in first.
And the same applies when waitng at lights, again stick shift you take it out of gear and release your clutch, same applies to the DSG.
Whenever i get the opportunity i select Neutral, after all it's only a quick flick of the arm.  :happy2:
I cant remember the exact explanation That TT gave but leaving it in D - mode, at say a set of lights, heats the oil up at its quickest, something to do with it's positioning in the box.
Also i dont know were you got the info about people with the mechatronic unit problems had a flashing light, in my own experience and the ones i know about, there was no flashing lights.  :smiley:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 10:40:29 am »
Thanks for the info TC, I have already adjusted my driving but always good to know, as for the flashing lights, from various forums, just doing a quick search found me this on fourtitude http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=4451261 I have no direct experience just the info I read before buying the GTI.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 12:29:42 pm »
Could be indicative of an impending failure of the tiptronic selector switch. That resulted in a flashing P-R-N-D-S on my car and loss of drive (scarily, while on the road  :surprised:). A few people in the US have had to have theirs replaced as well. Cost me about £800 for it (out of warranty). Just a thought.

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 11:22:18 pm »
Just the "D" flashed. Not all the letters/number. 

No errors on vagcom.

So fingers crossed just a one off.
No Golf anymore. 
Thank You Everyone.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 08:44:40 am »
Obviously just had a funny 5 minutes, will have my fingers crossed for you NC35  :smiley:

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 09:05:22 am »
Obviously just had a funny 5 minutes, will have my fingers crossed for you NC35  :smiley:

Cheers - Thought I was going to make a quick call to warranty direct - just in case  :wink:

Looking at your sig what does "rear vent piping" do / involve?
No Golf anymore. 
Thank You Everyone.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 09:19:31 am »
Ha, well I retro-fitted the center arm-rest, and I have a crazy plan to remove the tunnel and install the aircon piping to make my rear passenger vents work.  Should be good fun  :scared:  Im busy collecting all the bit at the moment, also going to add cabling for MDI, and the roll top cup holder at the same time.

Im trying to make my poverty spec into a top spec with OEM replacements   :laugh:

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 09:35:08 am »
Good luck M8.

Funny center arm rest was very near the top of "must have"  when I was looking.  Above colour and DSG/Manual !!!!

Didn't even know the arm rest wasn't standard until a test drive at Huddersfield VW, when I asked what happened to the arm rest LOL

Need somewhere to keep all my cr@p that I use daily.  Some how the door pockets are already full.
No Golf anymore. 
Thank You Everyone.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 10:16:37 am »
Yeah that and highline were on my list too, but knowing I could easily install the arm-rest meant it took a back seat as for me I had to have Leather and DSG so im retro fitting my way back to the car I really wanted  :stupid: