Make a donation

Author Topic: exhaust advice please ....:O)  (Read 2851 times)

Offline Joff Gas

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 3
exhaust advice please ....:O)
« on: March 09, 2010, 06:04:19 pm »
evening all......

hopefully will be buying an ed 30 in the upcoming weeks ,dont want to go mental with the mods but to me a must is a good exhaust sytstem with a good quality sound!!!!

what are ure recomendations?
can i get good POWER increase?
do i just need back box or should i spend more on a full system????

cheers lads

Stage2plusd ed30 dsg

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
Re: exhaust advice please ....:O)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 06:07:29 pm »
Milltek non-res or Blueflame are the favourites.

Go for a full system if you can as there are good gains to be had. The catback is more for sound and show than extra power. :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 06:13:40 pm »
Depends on what you mean by good sound??

I have an ed 30 and it is totally std apart from a stage 1 bluefin which is all you need in my opinion, it is super quick and such fun to drive, anything more than 300HP in a FWD car is overkill I think, without mods such as LSD etc, in the mid range it will keep up with a TVR (as tested on the M4 - only up to 70 of course ;-).

My wife has a GTI TSFI (I know we love the mk V golf GTI :-) ) and I put a second hand milltek TBE system on this sunday, fitted it myself was actually pretty easy, it has the middle resonator box and is as quiet as standard, but the turbo spools up so fast and the engine is actually much smoother, if you left out the middle resonator box, then I understand it makes a nice sporty sound, but I haven't and it sounds totally std, just get all the power benefits.

So I would recommend Miltek, v high quality system

Offline Joff Gas

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 06:24:54 pm »
miltek seems to be the way forward then........!

just wanna quality sound that suit the car really, not a chavvy subura look at me exhaust...!

Stage2plusd ed30 dsg

Offline Truckie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Formula Hot Laps
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 06:30:14 pm »
"not a chavvy subura look at me exhaust...!"

Quote of the week!  :signLOL:

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 06:31:48 pm »
Depends on what you mean by good sound??

I have an ed 30 and it is totally std apart from a stage 1 bluefin which is all you need in my opinion, it is super quick and such fun to drive, anything more than 300HP in a FWD car is overkill I think, without mods such as LSD etc, in the mid range it will keep up with a TVR (as tested on the M4 - only up to 70 of course ;-).

My wife has a GTI TSFI (I know we love the mk V golf GTI :-) ) and I put a second hand milltek TBE system on this sunday, fitted it myself was actually pretty easy, it has the middle resonator box and is as quiet as standard, but the turbo spools up so fast and the engine is actually much smoother, if you left out the middle resonator box, then I understand it makes a nice sporty sound, but I haven't and it sounds totally std, just get all the power benefits.

So I would recommend Miltek, v high quality system

You will change your mind once you try stage 2 plus.

Offline RobH

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
  • Revo stg 2+
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 06:37:30 pm »
i have a milltek now but will be going with blueflame next, just for a change and they sound better imo.

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 06:38:35 pm »
Look at APR RSC too. Completely different sound to the Milltek. There are some videos on YouTube posted by APR North America, which in my opinion give a pretty accurate representation of the exhaust sound.

No drone at all, and quieter than the standard system whilst cruising! But when you floor it, boy is it loud!

You can't go wrong with either the Milltek / APR / Blueflame. All excellent systems, with very similar power increases. The main factors that you should really be considering is tailpipe design and noise.

Cat back will release the noise and maybe a couple of horses, add the downpipe for the majority of the power and a slight change to the noise!
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 06:40:44 pm »
Milltek is not the only exhaust flavour on the site, although granted it is the most popular.  I have a cat back Milly fitted, and have had no problems with what I have currently  fitted, however I had to have a centre box welded on my previous mk4.

Quite a few forum members have had problems, so the message is do some research, and make your choice.

Milltek's after sales care has frequently reported to be good, when prodded.  Although I have had no experience of this.

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 08:07:58 pm »
Cat back non res Milltek on my GTI & no problems with it.I think the resonated one would be too quiet.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 08:12:32 pm »
"not a chavvy subura look at me exhaust...!"

Quote of the week!  :signLOL:
:P :P :P

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Saint Steve

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 09:27:39 pm »
Another vote for Milltek here.
Just gone to full turbo back Non Res myself and love it, Not too loud and only when you want it too, it roars :happy2: in a nice way.
and to jmspear, get stage 2 Bluefin(£50).Same ammount of Torque on your bum dyno but lasts longer up the rev range, and you will beat the Tvr  :wink:. I did this weekend much to mine and  the TVR Cerbera owners supprise!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 09:36:04 pm by Saint Steve »

Offline Joff Gas

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 10:06:52 pm »
how much do you think i should be looking at paying for none res back box....?(miltek)

Stage2plusd ed30 dsg

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 11:00:16 pm »
saint steve and poverty, this board is sooooo bad for my wallet, what with a ITG GB going on and now of course I must have the stage 2+ and its my b'day next week, now where was that list again - ITG, TBE milltek, stage 2+ Bluefin, large pack of new underpants, shares in michelin ;-) Oh so tempting, power is addictive..................

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 11:12:27 pm »
I have a milltek on mine, and notice a bit of difference. But still need a decat down pipe for the difference to really show up.
I can reccomend Milltek, but know a lot here also use the other big names, think you will enjoy it if you get a remap too, as that helps to notice a big improvement.