Make a donation

Author Topic: 2nd service and MOT time.  (Read 2223 times)

Offline monte

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
2nd service and MOT time.
« on: March 11, 2010, 11:19:06 pm »
Well my car needs its first MOT doing before April, and the 2nd service is due next week (23K). I was going to get a few quotes for the service and then see if Lincoln VW will beat my lowest.
Should I get the MOT done at VW too? Any ideas on prices for both the service and the MOT? (its been a long time since I MOT'd anything).

Also I have a loyalty voucher worth £75, and another voucher for 15% off my 2nd service.

If VW price match my lowest quote for the service, do you think they will still let me use the vouchers? and will I be able to use both at the same time?

Sorry for all the questions  :ashamed:  Ideally I would like to get the service and the MOT done at VW. If they can give me a good quote and then let me have 15% off and then let me have £75 off I'll be well happy  :smiley:

Any ideas? Any advice? Do you think I am expecting too much, or does it sound feasible?

Offline Aldo

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: 2nd service and MOT time.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 11:35:27 pm »
I've actually been phoning around today for similar. Mine is 3 yrs old at end of March so is due it's first MOT and it's 3rd service at 26k (previous 9k, 18k)

VW Cambridge quoted me £54 for the MOT and £192 for the service. Basically just the lubrication service and a visual check. Sounded steep to me so I phoned AMD Essex and they quoted me £120 for the service, or £205 for a full service which includes oil, oil filter, pollen filter, air filter, fuel filter, plugs and the visual inspection.

I've decided to go for AMD as I have read good things about them on here, and they seemed really helpfull on the phone. They are also fitting cruise control for me for £150.

It's a bit of a tough choice to sway away from a VW dealer as some people might be a bit funny about that when I come to sell it, but as I see it, it's probably going to be better looked after at AMD judging by all the tales of woe I keep reading about VW dealers cocking up various things and doing stuff like swirling washing your car even after being told not to.

Let me know how you get on.
'07 Ed30, 3dr, Manual, Black,  Xenons, Rear Tints, Centre Armrest - Standard.

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • Global Ruler
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 11:53:08 pm »
I know what you are saying Aldo but I was hoping to use the vouchers and get around £100 knocked off. Also If I get the MOT done and they find a problem, they can maybe fix it through the warranty.
The warranty runs out in April. I presume I can get the MOT done early?

Nasir

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 12:50:26 am »
I know what you are saying Aldo but I was hoping to use the vouchers and get around £100 knocked off. Also If I get the MOT done and they find a problem, they can maybe fix it through the warranty.
The warranty runs out in April. I presume I can get the MOT done early?

Yes you can get the MOT done early. JCT600 have an offer for an MOT and service for £99, or that might be kwik-fit but JCT definitely do the service for under £100. There's a thread about it at the moment uswel.

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 06:26:23 am »
JCT is just for cars over 4 years old. Sorry.
No Golf anymore. 
Enjoyed the last five years of ownership of Mk5 & 6 GTIs.
Plus an excellent forum for knowledge and new ways to deplete the bank account.
Thank You Everyone.

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 07:30:07 am »
I think they will let you use the loyalty voucher but i doubt they will allow the 15% discount on a price matched quote

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 08:00:26 am »
My local stealers is doing a half price MOT offer at the moment.  Not sure if its a national thing or dealer specific.  Fiancee's polo sailed though so its not a 'get em in and rip them off deal either'.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • Global Ruler
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 11:14:56 am »
can anyone tell me, if the dealer is doing a t&d service, should they be using longlife oil?

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 11:16:35 am »
can anyone tell me, if the dealer is doing a t&d service, should they be using longlife oil?
You need to ask them what there are using, mine do use longlife

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • Global Ruler
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 11:19:31 am »
cheers blue, just spoke to a woman that says they definatley wont use longlife  :confused:

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • Global Ruler
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 11:29:01 am »
I just kicked up a bit of a fuss, and I said I will go elsewhere where then can do longlife. She then came back to me and said that I was right and that longlife was used on GTi's.
They will now do my 2nd service with longlife oil and MOT for £175. I can use the loyalty voucher, so it will cost £100 all in.

Nasir

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 12:14:51 pm »
I just kicked up a bit of a fuss, and I said I will go elsewhere where then can do longlife. She then came back to me and said that I was right and that longlife was used on GTi's.
They will now do my 2nd service with longlife oil and MOT for £175. I can use the loyalty voucher, so it will cost £100 all in.

Wow not a bad deal

Offline FamilyDub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 2
  • ...who needs a diesel?
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 12:32:10 pm »

£100 after £75 discount? That's a bit more like it.  :happy2:
MKV GTI | Reflex Silver | 5-dr, Family-Spec | 17" w/anthracite Finish | Manual | Highline | Cruise | Revision 'D' DV | Dirty Pipes |