Make a donation

Author Topic: Clay bar..for beginners  (Read 6313 times)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Clay bar..for beginners
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 12:38:48 am »
^^^I think the first time I clayed, I used half the bottle of lube because I was so afraid of marring the paintwork. Too much is better than too little but you'll get the hang of it and how much lube is needed per section.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 09:57:14 pm »
^^^^^^^ Agreed i still use half a bottle of lube when i clay bar, i used to use the meguires and really liked it i just took a llittle more effort to get plyable in the colder weather than the sonus did.

I usually only clay once a year max anyway.

check out you tube for some video how toos bud :happy2:
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline gazjones

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Design portfolio
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 10:14:27 pm »
I'm claying mine tomorrow (as long as it doesn't rain) and it's the first time I've done it as I've never really had a car that deserved it! lol

I'm a bit worried about this marring though, is the best way to reduce the chance to just slap loads of the lube on? Don't really want to knacker the paint up but need to give it a go really.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 10:19:47 pm »
I'm claying mine tomorrow (as long as it doesn't rain) and it's the first time I've done it as I've never really had a car that deserved it! lol

I'm a bit worried about this marring though, is the best way to reduce the chance to just slap loads of the lube on? Don't really want to knacker the paint up but need to give it a go really.

Lots and lots of lube and let the clay do the work, it will feel like glass once its clean so feel for this instead of going over the same area. Also check your clay all the time and keep folding away the dirt and contaminates, also make sure its nice and warm so its really soft, either need it quite a lot or leave it in a bucket of warm water.  :happy2:

Offline Kemosabi1

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 07:12:07 pm »
I'm in same boat as Gaz - never done this detailing business before but this link gives some good insight - trip to Halfords coming up I feel.

Offline gazjones

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Design portfolio
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 11:39:09 pm »
I'm in same boat as Gaz - never done this detailing business before but this link gives some good insight - trip to Halfords coming up I feel.

I've had to clay in stages to fit around work, and it's worked a treat. I was a bit worried about the marring issue to used bucket loads of the spray, in fact I used a full bottle but it's worked a treat :)

Only used 1 full clay bar (made the mistake of putting the first half I was using in my pocket) so yea, really pleased with the results  :happy2:

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 09:30:17 pm »
Woke up to a nice warm, slightly overcast day today which seemed perfect to clay the car and use my recently purchased Lusso Revitalising Cream and Oro wax.
 All I can say to anyone thinking about clayling is to just crack on with it. It made such a difference to the shine/feel of the paint and wasn't difficult really. It also gave me the perfect base for applying the Lusso which I am well impressed with!

« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 09:31:55 pm by Boothmeister »

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 09:48:14 pm »
Clay in a bottle now thats scary :scared:

Offline Kemosabi1

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2010, 09:17:28 pm »
Good work Gaz - I'm tempted to do the business tomorrow, travelling a 4 hour round trip to Derby though on Sunday so not sure if I should get that out of the way first?

Did you break the bar up or just do the whole thing re-moulding the same bar?  Do I need to apply pressure?

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2010, 11:44:01 pm »
If you break the bar in half, one piece should be enough to do the whole car. The other piece you can save for another time or if you drop the first piece on the floor.

Pressure should be minimal - enough to keep the clay on the paintwork There should be abrasiveness - there should be enough lubrication from the spray that the clay bar slides along very easily.

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2010, 10:41:15 am »
I bought a megs starter kit off e bay the other day, 1 bar and the spray for £11, just enough to start with I think, and if I do an OK job then I will invest in the more expensive show stuff.
If you open a bar, and don't use it, are you still ok to use it at a later date? And also, if you use it, can you keep it for another time, or do you guys reccomend throwing it away after use?

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2010, 01:31:37 pm »
Is bin the stuff you've used to be honest but I could be wrong. I've wrapped my left over piece in cling film and left in the box with.the.other cleaning stuff, that way it shouldn't dry out.

Offline gazjones

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Design portfolio
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2010, 05:42:07 pm »
You'll notice when you've done the claying that you'll want to lob it. As mentioned half a clay bar is enough to do the car once, just make sure it's lubed up before you do it.

I also washed the car before hand then afterwards, and polished it to make sure it was sparkling  :smiley:

The red GTi looks awesome Boothmeister!  :happy2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2010, 07:00:47 pm »
I keep half of the bar in the plastic wrapping and inside the box. Haven't had issues with it drying out.

Offline SteveS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2010, 12:17:04 pm »
i know they say it removes polish and wax, btu hoe does it go that, it just runs over the surface removing the bits that stick up (dirt). ok i understand if that's on tough it will probably take that spec of polish with it ....

SOLD!! :(
VW GTI Edition 30 No. 0551
Revo Stage2+ (LT) | Evoms Intake, K&N Filter | VWR LSD | Milltek R32 TBE | VWR Engine Mounts | VWR Big Front & S3 Rear Brakes | VWR Springs |  VWR Shortshift | SuperPro Bushes |  Recaro Seats