Make a donation

Author Topic: Best year of manufacture  (Read 1801 times)

Offline modelreject

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Best year of manufacture
« on: March 09, 2011, 01:47:14 pm »
Hi,

Was just thinking about this and was hoping to get your opinions. I am still on the lookout for a GTI and am looking for a low mileage model. From all of my research I can tell that there have been problems in the past form the very first MK5 right through to the last, manufactured circa 2008. To cut a long story short, would it be better to get a later model, preferably 2008 as most of the problems will have been ironed out?

Thanks,
C

Offline E30Dom

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
Re: Best year of manufacture
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 01:59:25 pm »
You say that, but think earlier models, all the tooling was new and tolerances were better no?
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 02:10:47 pm »
The first ones came with more alloy trim/speakers & the cool blue window glass(never should have deleted this on the GTI) :sad1:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline modelreject

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 03:15:26 pm »
As far as problems go though, not the style, would you say that the later models are better?

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 03:37:23 pm »
As far as problems go though, not the style, would you say that the later models are better?
........had an 05 GTI & now have an 08 ED 30. Had a few problems with the 05 GTI sorted under a warranty  :happy2: & so far with the ED 30 nothing wrong. :smiley:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline modelreject

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 05:11:34 pm »
Would love a 2008 Ed30. Think, with getting an older model most things would be out of warranty bar the paintwork. Thinking engine parts. Will try and pick up a 2007/2008 model.

Offline searly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 10:14:21 pm »
Worked in many OEM's and supplied into OEM's for 20 odd years and there seems to be a common pattern

SOP >  start of mass pro manufacture and with all the trial builds there is nothing like going live in volume ,  this usually throws up all the problems , for which the next 6 months is spent introducing the fixes to resolve the problems .

then from 6 months to to 2 years is where I believe the vehicle is possibly at its best , because after 2 years is when all the cost downs come into place reducing manufacturing costs , but sell prices remain the same , these cost down are in the form of cheaper materials being used  / reducing tac times at the supply base and at OEM (more mistakes are made ).

but really the first 6 months are a no for me

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 10:46:07 pm »
How long after the start of Mk5 production did they start making A. Right Hand Drive cars and B. The GTI? From start of production or later?
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)