Make a donation

Author Topic: diffs in the wet !  (Read 4086 times)

Offline gillm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
diffs in the wet !
« on: March 18, 2010, 04:40:22 pm »
just had 1 fitted and im still getting alot of wheelspin in the wet , is this to be expected ? i have inly driven cars with diffs in on dry roads/track
west tuned gt28 @ 340hp

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
Re: diffs in the wet !
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 04:54:15 pm »
Yes, it'll lose traction just like it did before - but you'll feel it "searching" as it sends power to either side, kind of feel like it's pulling at the wheel a bit and trying to change direction?
Sideways yo!

Offline jabbalad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Jabbasport
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 05:09:16 pm »
diffs wont stop wheelspin they will just help with traction in the sence that it cant just spin 1 wheel, it has to make the extra effort to spin both!

12.7 santapod... soon to be quicker :-)

Candy White Edition 30; Custom KW clubsports, Eibach hollow arbs, Jabba remap, BTB Exhaust, Twintake, Autotech HPFP, Team Dynamics wheels, VWR Big Brakes.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 05:46:04 pm »
Yes, you will still get wheelspin. It took me a while to get used to mine as the extra grip is there in the wet and I took to "keeping my foot in" at higher speeds when feeling wheelspin on the straights and it worked a treat on snow at 90mph :rolleye: :driver: (ask Topher on the golfgti.co.uk forum :grin:)

There is no doubt that a car is quicker with Quaife than without, it just need gauging as to how much extra grip it does give you and once you've dialled yourself into it, the results are truly awesome. :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 06:36:52 pm »
4WD is better  :P  :grin:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline gillm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 06:46:15 pm »
i dare say it is but i dont have 4wd .

cheers for your replies . diffs have always been a grey area for myself .  im getting there now lol
west tuned gt28 @ 340hp

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 06:55:30 pm »
as said above, put it into a roundabout in wet and put your foot in, it will pull it back in.
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 08:04:50 pm »
4WD is better  :P  :grin:

What is it Harry Hill says...................There's only one way to sort this out..................FIGGGGHHTTT!!! :laugh:
Golf R gone.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 08:09:41 pm »
give me time mate only had it a week  :laugh:  infact u wont get away from my bug  :P infact i should start a new thread on it  :evilgrin:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 08:32:32 pm »
give me time mate only had it a week  :laugh:  infact u wont get away from my bug  :P infact i should start a new thread on it  :evilgrin:

Bug pics now pleaseeee :jumping:

I love Beetles. Me and my dad did one up from scratch. Really easy to work on although some of the new wing parts are an "aquired taste" to fit. Bright cherry red with a cream leather interior. Last car I did up with him before he passed away :sad:
Golf R gone.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 08:33:51 pm »
ok mate just for u i will do one in the members cars so give me 5 min to start it  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 08:11:43 am »
As others have said, a diff doesn't stop wheelspin but it greatly helps maintain/find grip. Wheelspin is down to the condition of your tyres, the road surface, and how you use your right foot. Smooth and progressive is the way forward.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 11:51:50 pm »
just had 1 fitted and im still getting alot of wheelspin in the wet , is this to be expected ? i have inly driven cars with diffs in on dry roads/track

With your amount of torque it will always struggle to find ultimate traction especially in the wet but more importantly is the issue of early boost spike and/or power modulation with DBW cars.

The biggest gain using an ATB diff will be on a nice sunny day using track day rubber where when your increased heat in the rubber on intermediates or similar will transfer power nicely to the outer wheel and pull the front nicely through the apex. It is all about timing as crucially with the  torque your engine or the Edition 30 produces will easily overwhelm the front if brutal.

I've had them on most of my previous cars and found it worked best on my 200bhp valver where the more sensitive and less torquey engine made it easier especially at Combe.
I found that I was lapping as quick if not slightly quicker than Bill Brockbank with his Jetta in my infamous valver at approx 1.21-1.22 around Combe. Amazingly I was lapping at 1.23 in the APR Stage 3 MKIV with 350bhp and a diff.
The Edition 30 on stage 1 no diff OE brakes but Yellowstuff pads and Motul fluid I peddled it at 1.23-1.24 on Intermediates and no diff. APR Stage 2 on road tyres made it slightly slower (To be expected). I never did try the full combo of Inters diff and big brakes.

I would look forward to warmer weather and Inter tyres and a good blast at Combe to see the real gains....1-2 sec per lap.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 11:55:07 pm by Msportman »
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.

Offline gillm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 12:43:45 pm »
cheers for the info mate . be at combe soon so i hope to see the benifits on there with it . been playing with the car over the past few days (brakes needed bedding in so was not thrashing it ) and its interesting feeling the diff work . i have had the outer wheel spinning which is quite rare
west tuned gt28 @ 340hp

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 07:15:20 am »
Mytraction definately improved with the Peloquin on the wet and snow. With F1 asymmetric wich are very good on wet, I can almost WOT without loosing traction wich is absolutely awesome for a car wich has 380HP on FWD. The coilovers also help here !
Mk5 GTI 6MT - Revo stage 3