Make a donation

Author Topic: MK5 R32 vs MK5 Ed30  (Read 14202 times)

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
Re: MK5 R32 vs MK5 Ed30
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2010, 10:46:34 am »
i have to say, i keep looking at r32s! even though i know i would not keep it long, i think that in a world of 4 pot hot hatches its a diff option, for road use (bar the mpg and tax) they seem great.
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2010, 10:58:53 am »
I love the R32 and it is a real pity that economics and CO2 emissions have killed it off. Weight is the killer and that is what I feel lets it down. The sound and grip is great and I still have the odd yearning to get one. The Edition 30 though is simply a better all rounder and a stock one with just a diff would be hard to beat :wink: :innocent:
Golf R gone.

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2010, 11:01:37 am »
I had the MK3 VR6 but not had an R.  The VR6 was a lovely car to drive, a bit front heavy but I expected it to be anyway.   I had bad dreams for months after regretting selling it to get a Celica VVTi  :stupid:  Ah well ye live and learn.

Im enjoying every trip out in the ED30 now though, what a car  :laugh:  :drinking: 
Had: Edition 30, 3 Door Manual, Pearl Black, Cruise Control, IPod Prep, Arm Rest, Auto Lights and Wipers

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2010, 11:19:44 am »
Love the looks of the R32,...then again...I love the looks of the ed30....which is better....

Cue Harry Hill....FIGHT!!!

It sounds mad when I say this but for me, the thought of paying the government £435 ? for road tax is obscene...I know that means that these twats win cos they dont want us to drive such lovely cars.... but for me its the deal breaker...I would just go ed30 and ramp her up a few notches.

I have to get myself an eddie one of these days soon.

Offline golfather

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2010, 01:07:37 pm »
I had both the Ed (stage1) and the .:R for a while and I always took the keys for the .:R !

Found the .:R to be more refined, with instant throttle response and no turbo lag, so great for setting off at lights and roundabouts.
Plus with the 4wd, you can just press the go pedal and not worry about dreaded wheelspin.
A far better drive with a far better spec from standard.

Handling wise the Ed feels slightly lighter but theres not much in it.
Brakes wise the .:R wins hands down. The Ed's brakes were a joke.
And the noise... well there was no competition with the noisy rattly diesel-esque 2.0T versus the silky smooth V6 wail !

All in all the Ed is a great car, and far better than a normal GTI. But still no match for the.:R32   :happy2:

Offline CaptainJack

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2010, 03:31:43 pm »
I had both the Ed (stage1) and the .:R for a while and I always took the keys for the .:R !

Found the .:R to be more refined, with instant throttle response and no turbo lag, so great for setting off at lights and roundabouts.
Plus with the 4wd, you can just press the go pedal and not worry about dreaded wheelspin.
A far better drive with a far better spec from standard.

Handling wise the Ed feels slightly lighter but theres not much in it.
Brakes wise the .:R wins hands down. The Ed's brakes were a joke.
And the noise... well there was no competition with the noisy rattly diesel-esque 2.0T versus the silky smooth V6 wail !

All in all the Ed is a great car, and far better than a normal GTI. But still no match for the.:R32   :happy2:

I also love the noise of the R32, awesome sound indeed  :party:

What about the Ed30 being far quicker ?   :happy2:   :evilgrin: K04 Power !!!  :evilgrin:
Had: Edition 30, 3 Door Manual, Pearl Black, Cruise Control, IPod Prep, Arm Rest, Auto Lights and Wipers

Offline golfather

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2010, 04:51:26 pm »
The Edition 30 certainly gave you the feeling of going quicker with the shove in the back, especially after the remap.
But on the open road, there was hardly anything in it which surprised a lot of people   :grin:

Trust me, a well driven R32 is no slouch  :wink:

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2010, 05:34:56 pm »
The Edition 30 certainly gave you the feeling of going quicker with the shove in the back, especially after the remap.
But on the open road, there was hardly anything in it which surprised a lot of people   :grin:

Trust me, a well driven R32 is no slouch  :wink:

I assume you mean standard vs standard?

Offline golfather

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2010, 08:36:32 pm »
Remapped Ed vs standard R

Saint Steve

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2010, 08:40:13 pm »

Sorry but that maybe 0 to 60 ft launch being in favour of the R, but a Remap'd Eddy will blitz past.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 08:42:19 pm by Saint Steve »

Offline paulk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2010, 08:43:50 pm »
the r32 performace is a tad poor in my opinion...coming from vxrs even the baby corsa was a match for the 32...agree they sound mint and have the recaro option , but to slow for me.. :driver:

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2010, 09:45:14 pm »

Sorry but that maybe 0 to 60 ft launch being in favour of the R, but a Remap'd Eddy will blitz past.

x2.  No comparison regards straight line performance..

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2010, 10:06:25 pm »

Hmmm not sure I agree with that either. That was the main complaint for me with the .:R as the mid range urgency was pedestrian compared to the Eddy and I had the privilage of being able to jump from one into the other.

So that being the case blasting cross country is where you find the mid range far more usefull.

Yes the grip on take off was nothing short of phenomenal but overtaking at motorway speeds was tediuos at best. Apart from the noise that is!  :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2010, 10:21:21 pm »

Hmmm not sure I agree with that either. That was the main complaint for me with the .:R as the mid range urgency was pedestrian compared to the Eddy and I had the privilage of being able to jump from one into the other.

So that being the case blasting cross country is where you find the mid range far more usefull.

Yes the grip on take off was nothing short of phenomenal but overtaking at motorway speeds was tediuos at best. Apart from the noise that is!  :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

And you were handed undeniable proof on the strip.  :laugh:

Awaits the photoshop styleee pics and vids.  :P