Make a donation

Author Topic: MK5 R32 vs MK5 Ed30  (Read 14201 times)

Offline golfather

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
MK5 R32 vs MK5 Ed30
« on: March 18, 2010, 09:59:31 pm »
Any owners who've gone from a MK5 R32 to an Edition 30?
Currently got an R, and love the grip and noise.
But can't help noticing the mad 1/4 mile times the Ed 30 folk are getting !
Suppose in the wet its gonna be tricky putting the power down, but all other times I suppse the Ed 30 would be much more fun.

Any experiences and comparisons between the two anyone?
Or is it a case of the grass isn't as green as it looks....

Cheers

Offline Moschops

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
Re: MK5 R32 vs MK5 Ed30
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 10:05:11 pm »
Any owners who've gone from a MK5 R32 to an Edition 30?
Currently got an R, and love the grip and noise.
But can't help noticing the mad 1/4 mile times the Ed 30 folk are getting !
Suppose in the wet its gonna be tricky putting the power down, but all other times I suppse the Ed 30 would be much more fun.

Any experiences and comparisons between the two anyone?
Or is it a case of the grass is greener etc...

What do you want the ED30 do, just run 1/4 miles times..... :laugh: The fuel in that case will be the same as the R.  :happy2:

Both are very nice cars, it all depends what you want them to do. The R has a great sound track plus the Haldex so safe in the knowledge of grip.  Although they do love the gogo juice. :happy2:

The ED30 is quick off the mark, very tuneable and in the right colours a looker too :love:. It's also a great motorway cruiser too, I can get 34 plus on a run in mine.

Both cars in my opion are nice to own....the choice though is yours, go and find an ED30 and test drive it be it manual or DSG.  :smiley:

Cheers,

Wayne

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 10:30:03 pm »
I had a deposit on a R32, drove Ed30 and bought, soo much better imo, and I test drove both in Feb in snow !

Even now I see r32 and have a thing for them, but wouldn't dream of swapping... :happy2:
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline Truckie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Formula Hot Laps
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 12:42:14 pm »
I was in a similar mind...test drove both and bought edition 30. The R32 was manual though, and my edition 30 is DSG. It was really the mileage i do and the fuel consumption of the R32 that pushed me towards the edition 30....I do see R32's and get a little excited though  :ashamed:

Ifti

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 02:21:39 pm »
When I was looking I wanted the best of both worlds - cheaper tax and running costs then the R32, but something a little quicker then the standard GTI.
Personally, I think the ED30 is the best of the bunch.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 02:24:09 pm »
i sold my mk4 r32 for the ed30 and was going to buy a blue mk5 r32 with every option even the bucket seats but after looking at a white ed30 and seeing what it could be for not much £££ it won  :smiley:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Golfgirl

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 04:31:11 pm »
i sold my mk4 r32 for the ed30 and was going to buy a blue mk5 r32 with every option even the bucket seats but after looking at a white ed30 and seeing what it could be for not much £££ it won  :smiley:

LOL, I could have written that word for word! (Except my Mk 5 R32 would have been black due the Mk 4 being blue and wanted something different).

FOR SALE!

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 46
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 12:25:14 am »
If you want something that ticks everything out the box and will leave it that way then the R32 is a great choice; grip, noise, power, comfort and the weight makes it very stable and safe as you well know. Ive had ago in an ED30 recently and wasnt keen as i didnt like the interior, lack of grip, lack of low power and the noise was a bit boring for me after the R32. I was hoping to love it and was looking to get one on finance with views of modding but now it felt like a step down after the 32 (im sure ill get slated for that) Others will be the exact opposite (as above)

Its down to personal choice, you may be better off with the standard MK5 GTI over the Ed30 as some prefer it; faster spooling turbo, cheaper to buy etc

Get which suits you and what you use it for, all three are superb cars, im still watching mk5 R's on the net as i miss mine so much i cant explain  :sad1:

Good luck with it mate, its a choice you cant lose on!

:happy2:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 12:27:02 am by Jules86 »

Offline golfather

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 08:58:46 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone !
I think I'll stick with the .:R... May not be as quick as the Ed, but does everything so well and looks better inside and out :happy2:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 09:42:00 pm »
I found the inside of my .:R quite boring compared with the ED?  :stupid:

Although I do love the white dials in the .:R and would have a set in the ED given half the chance!  :happy2:

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 46
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 11:20:03 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone !
I think I'll stick with the .:R... May not be as quick as the Ed, but does everything so well and looks better inside and out :happy2:

Nice one mate  :happy2:

I know how you feel and im looking at getting another one in the next few months as i miss it so much, nothing i have tested over the last few months can touch it for an all round package......oh and the noise  :evilgrin:

Offline golfather

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 11:47:19 pm »
I found the inside of my .:R quite boring compared with the ED? ...

TBH mate, the inside of ANY mk5 looks a bit iffy esp when compared to the old MK4. I had the old .:R and the interior was far more robust and better built with more attention to detail than the MK5 .:R.
No .:R sills, no .:R dials, no alu trim, no illuminated vents, no chunky steering, and no exclusive seats!! They really cut costs on the new .:R !

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 12:13:58 am »
I found the inside of my .:R quite boring compared with the ED:stupid:

Although I do love the white dials in the .:R and would have a set in the ED given half the chance!  :happy2:

Ah that's because you only had the cheapo cloth version.... :P and no toys.... :stupid:
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 12:17:15 am »
I found the inside of my .:R quite boring compared with the ED? ...

TBH mate, the inside of ANY mk5 looks a bit iffy esp when compared to the old MK4. I had the old .:R and the interior was far more robust and better built with more attention to detail than the MK5 .:R.
No .:R sills, no .:R dials, no alu trim, no illuminated vents, no chunky steering, and no exclusive seats!! They really cut costs on the new .:R !

Hmm...I like the inside of both the ED30 and the MK5 R, i think they gave it a bit more thought than the mk 4, but I know what you mean about the exclusive bits on the R. Although I don't miss those R sills, I had to have one of mine replaced as the nugget of a mechanic dropped a screwdriver on it and dented it....6 replacements later... :sad1:
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 09:37:37 am »
I found the inside of my .:R quite boring compared with the ED:stupid:

Ah that's because you only had the cheapo cloth version.... :P and no toys.... :stupid:

I had ALL the toys thank you and preferred the cloth anyway!  :P  :booty: