Make a donation

Author Topic: midline to highline  (Read 21779 times)

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
Re: midline to highline
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2009, 06:07:33 pm »
im gettin my highline done in the morning whoop!

I'll turn my outlook off then  :jumpmove:
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2009, 06:37:58 pm »
 :grin: :grin: :grin: I think some one needs to do a write up for this forum...are you in a position to do this JPC or is it a dealer who's doing it for you, 

Darren

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2009, 07:12:36 pm »
Not fair, first Darren now JPC...

Really need to get my highline sorted quickly. Can't afford to be left behind  :happy2:

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline s1mon

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2009, 09:50:10 pm »
I'm up near Dundee, no doubt miles away from you!

Simon where are you based?  Perhaps Darren or myself could take a look for you.

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2009, 09:51:28 pm »
Ahh yes, just a bit.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Offline s1mon

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2009, 09:55:30 pm »
I would probably go with Stu on this and say operator error...Ive seen how VAS works and it is literaly on screen promts all the way through all the operator has to do is key in the details of the existing cluster. Also if hes able to do this with dealer equipment then he will be able to get advice/backup from germany about what hes doing.

Darren

I'll ask if he wants to give it another go and if there's anyone he can speak to that can help but he's already had 2 goes at it and couldn't get it done. I know he's done at least one other one but it was on an older car. As far as he's concerned the dash is incompatible and there's no way around it.

There is a 2008 one on ebay just now and I asked the seller the part number but haven't had any reply, might give them a call and ask if they don't reply tomorrow. However I don't want to buy that unless I sell the one I have so that I don't go and waste any more money on it.

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2009, 10:10:08 pm »
the ones he's attmepted with will be of limited use I'm afraid, the first thing to happen is the mileage goes on.
Stu...

Offline s1mon

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2009, 10:56:08 pm »
the ones he's attmepted with will be of limited use I'm afraid, the first thing to happen is the mileage goes on.

I'm not sure what you mean, limited use to me or to someone else?

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2009, 11:02:37 pm »
Yes you mention selling, but it will have the mileage of your car coded into it and for every day it's not in your car the mileage will be differing.

That is assuming of course he got that far.

Do you have any idea of his first steps, that's often where it will go wrong.
Stu...

Offline s1mon

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2009, 09:51:02 am »
I've no idea what he did, I'll see if I can find out though.
If the mileage is coded to the unit what do people who buy 2nd hand units do?

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2009, 10:05:35 am »
You can have mileage 'corrected' however unless you have the tools available you have to pay somone so it all adds to the cost.  I guess between £100 - £150.
Stu...

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2009, 10:56:08 am »
ive got my highline working and fitted this morning at the dealers. its working fine, although they were worried about it not working.

when i initially went to the dealers, they didnt have a clue which highline part number to use. they just give you the "it wont work" story.

so basically, what i did, was go onto volkswagen.co.uk go on there used car locator. then i looked for a car very similar to mine. 3 door TDI mk5 GT sport cruise, steering wheel buttons. Then i looked for ones with highline, then got the numberplate of that car with highline.

With that, phone the dealers, and they will be able to get the part number of the clocks used in that car with etka. Hopefully they will give you the part number, then you can order it.

mine was on back order unfortunately, but i waited and it came in last week. they told me that they cant garuntee it would fit, and if it didnt id still have to pay for the clock! great!

it was £226 + vat + £100 surcharge. + £82.50 fitting. so about £450. eeak. but its worth it, it looks great! especially with my phonebook etc on there! ;)

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2009, 11:02:18 am »
£82.50 fitting is a bit steep.

Still, it goes some way to prove it can be done quite simply on the Golf, I would assume much like the Octy.
Stu...

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2009, 11:48:43 am »
JPC,

congrats... Any idea on what part number they installed on yours. My spec is very similar and I just wanted to check part numbers ?

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2009, 12:24:57 pm »
1k0 920 974 BX Z02.

and yep, the labour was expensive but cheaper than trial an error with vag commander etc. it did take the guy two mins to swap the clock then an hour pressing buttons on VAS