Make a donation

Author Topic: Modding paths  (Read 2676 times)

Offline jimmyca69

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Modding paths
« on: March 22, 2010, 11:36:22 am »
Hi

Looking for some opinions regarding modding options for a mkv gti.

Im looking at purchasing a standard model and then purchase a miltek cat back resonated system, panel filter and then remap.

What kind of power would i be looking at with this setup?
Do any oem parts like clutch etc suffer from these mods?
Is it worth uprating the DV if doing above mods?
Any other parts it may be worth upgrading?
What are people's experience of MPG after a remap and such mods?

Im not looking for silly power and also dont want my wheels spinning if the road even slightly damp (300bhp on ST was a nightmare and reason i sold it) but would like a bit more than the standard setup. Useable power as they say  :innocent:

I have a baby due shortly so limiting the cabin noise and increasing ride comfort as much as possilble will also be on my mind when looking at any modifications.

thanks
James
53 Plate Audi S4 4.2 V8

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
Re: Modding paths
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 01:25:42 pm »
Hi James, I have a miltek turbo back exhaust on my GTI with the resonator middle box and it is genuinely as quiet as standard. Made the car so much smoother and quicker power pick up, also have a superchips stage 1 chip which is also very good. Makes a nice package. The exhaust is a bit overkill though for stage 1 modding, i got it as a basis for stage 2 and will complement it with a Cold air intake and uprated fuel pump and looking at changing chip to get more power.

But for a stage 1, the superchips is good.

BTW I bought the complete system from ebay (cat back) this site turbo, dp and race cat for about £600.

Offline jimmyca69

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 01:48:42 pm »
Hi James, I have a miltek turbo back exhaust on my GTI with the resonator middle box and it is genuinely as quiet as standard. Made the car so much smoother and quicker power pick up, also have a superchips stage 1 chip which is also very good. Makes a nice package. The exhaust is a bit overkill though for stage 1 modding, i got it as a basis for stage 2 and will complement it with a Cold air intake and uprated fuel pump and looking at changing chip to get more power.

But for a stage 1, the superchips is good.

BTW I bought the complete system from ebay (cat back) this site turbo, dp and race cat for about £600.

Thanks for input - what is the noise like outside the car with the miltek on? i have heard outside it improves the noise but doesnt compromise the cabin noise as you have stated.

What kind of power are you running with the stage 1 superchips?

I had a bluefin with my ST and loved the map on that - but looking at the website stage 1 appears a little conservative if im getting exhaust and filter and stage 2 requires a CAI and sports cat which is more than id like to do. Wish there was something a bit more inbetween!
53 Plate Audi S4 4.2 V8

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 02:49:50 pm »
Hi Jimmy, no idea on external noise as always sat inside  :wink:, with windows down it sounds a little more sporty, but only a little bit, the previous owner of the exhaust omitted the middle resonator box to get that sporty sound, my wife likes quiet, really quiet hence why I went resonated, and it has passed the "misses" test so very much like standard. I know what you mean, the stage 1 is good but doesn't set the world on fire, gets better as car adapts, I have done about 1k on it now and pulls more strongly (maybe adapted to the exhaust as well??). Hence the CAI and fuel pump, but be warned, the superchips stage 2 is a std plug and play and doesn't make the power of other maps such as Revo, so now I am going stage 2+ I wished I had gone revo stage 1 which I could have upgraded easily and for lost more power. The stage 1 SC map is good but a bit pedestrian, from accounts of others the stage 2 is pretty crap and the stage 3 (which I presume is smae as stage 1 on ed30) which I have personal experience of is awesome. So in summary, if you have an ed30 go superchips, if you have a GTI and wish to not go beyond stage 1, gently warming, SC is great, if want the temp turned up go another route - want to buy my three weeks old SC at a hefty discount if I get it reset???

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 02:51:46 pm »
BTW looking at your proposed upgrade path, from extensive forum research the cat back exhaust is for sound not power, you need turbo back for power, and the panel filter is waste of time as well compared to a Cold Air Induction system which will release real power (the ITG seems one of the best).

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 07:02:51 pm »
Hi

Looking for some opinions regarding modding options for a mkv gti.

Im looking at purchasing a standard model and then purchase a miltek cat back resonated system, panel filter and then remap.

What kind of power would i be looking at with this setup?
Do any oem parts like clutch etc suffer from these mods?
Is it worth uprating the DV if doing above mods?
Any other parts it may be worth upgrading?
What are people's experience of MPG after a remap and such mods?

Im not looking for silly power and also dont want my wheels spinning if the road even slightly damp (300bhp on ST was a nightmare and reason i sold it) but would like a bit more than the standard setup. Useable power as they say  :innocent:

I have a baby due shortly so limiting the cabin noise and increasing ride comfort as much as possilble will also be on my mind when looking at any modifications.

thanks
James

Hi Jimmy

Looking at your proposed road for mods I would seriously consider the front DP and CAT prior to the rear CAT back section as when remapping the larger bore and free flow design of the DP gives a much smoother progressive delivery which you will appreciate and is much better on the FWD set up. The OE DP is designed to give a early delivery and the remap makes the delivery quite pronounced and encourages wheel slip.

Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.

Offline jimmyca69

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 08:20:25 pm »
Thanks for the info Msportman thats very useful to know

I think ill have to budget for a full Miltek system then,

Looking at this here http://www.millteksport.com/media/images/features/Mk5.GTi/gti.system.jpg

Does this show the DP with sports cat, resonated centre pipe and then non-resonated cat back system? Does the resonated cat back have a silencer on the other centre pipe?

Does that make sense? Just want to clarify what im after. Does anyone have a similar diagram but of OEM exhaust setup?
53 Plate Audi S4 4.2 V8

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 08:29:46 pm »
That is the non-res pic shown.

The resonated system has another silencer box between the sports cat and the backbox :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 08:39:10 pm »
Here's a pic of my Milly with the resonated section.

Golf R gone.

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 09:15:23 pm »
I've had both the Milltek and APR item's recently. They are both great systems. The Milltek was a deeper sound but my favourite was the APR RSC system on my Edition 30. The main difference is that there is less noise in the cabin with the APR system but it is super raspy on the outside when gunning it....it sounds unreal...makes people wonder what's under the bonnet but under light throttle or cruising it's lovely and quiet. It's expensive though but the quality is top notch.

If on a buget I'd go DP and CAT firstly then a res system for a quiet cabin. 

There's also other makes out there which will custom build your exhaust.

The maps are all pretty good these days but I went for the APR system from Awesome in Manchester . This gives inter changeable map switching via the cruise control as well as security lock down and fault code erase  You can retro fit the cruise which is approx £160.

Many on here are REVO customers which again offer good maps.

Good luck.
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.