Make a donation

Author Topic: First time detailing products  (Read 1296 times)

Offline clements29

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
First time detailing products
« on: March 26, 2010, 06:04:10 pm »
Hi,

I was wondering if someone good advise me on a list for products to use on my GTI it is a 05 reg in Graphite Blue. I have been using Meguiars products for the past five years or so as listed below:-

NXT car wash
Quik Clay Starter Kit
Step 1 - Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner
Step 2 - Deep Crystal Step Polish
Step 3 - Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax

I also use a wash mitt ( I have two one for top half and one for bottom)
I cleaned it a couple of weeks ago with all the above and was very pleased with results.

So are there any products you would recommend using instead of the above or additional to what I have already done in particular ongoing protection, inside plastic and leather.
Here are some pictures:-
Also noticed that snow foam seems to be used a lot by guys on here what one would you use.

Thanks
Nathan

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: First time detailing products
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 12:17:04 am »
Another nathan with a red lip?!?! :laugh:

Firstly, do you use two buckets? If not buy another one!

Snowfoam is okay. Helps lift and drag some of the dirt away. If you have a pressure washer, you'll need to be a snow foam lance as well as the snow foam.

Shampoo of preference for me is Dodo Juice Born to be Mild. Very slick and not harsh on paintwork but still shifts dirt.

What drying towels do you use?

Do you use a clay bar? Megs do a smooth surface kit from halfrauds which is great for beginners at shifting bonded surface contaminants.

Polishing really depends on whether you have a machine polisher  or not. If not, Autoglym Super Resin Polish is a filling polish in that the polish breaks down into smaller and smaller abrasive particles but also contains fillers to fill in swirls. Supposed to be the best hand polish.

There are various options for sealants, glazes and waxes.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline craigy123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 06:23:44 pm »
its all a personal choice at the end of the day, some folk prefer different products over others, if it aint broke dont fix it as they say.

I would add some Chemical guys new look trim gel for your tyres and plastics  :happy2:

You could get a normal style wax instead of a liquid type such as petes 53 made by chemical guys, or victoria concours red wax would work well for you with it being a darker colour.

Grit gaurds are a good edition to anyones detailing collection.

Also a detailing spray for after washes that you arent applying any LSP, Zaino Z-8 is my favourite  :happy2:

But again this is all just personal choices

PM for details

Offline rdj

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 09:31:09 pm »
I like Chemical Guys Ez Creme Glaze - gives great shine and base for wax. Think it would get good results on yours....
 :happy2: