Make a donation

Author Topic: Stone chips  (Read 3546 times)

Offline v2brett

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Re: Stone chips
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 10:56:22 pm »
get a bonnet bra to hide/prevent them mate,  abit marmite but it will prevent them.   detailing worlds got some great touch up info  :happy2:
Still Here!

Offline GTI_Daz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 11:02:26 pm »
I picked a good few up on the trip to London from Manchester when getting my wheels and only noticed them when I got home :( luckily enough I'm having my skirts and front valance sprayed soon so will ask my mate to sort the stone chips with the extra paint, well that's how I'm gonna justify having them sorted. They are my pet hate but sadly nothing we can do to stop them  :sad1:

Offline japper

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 01:01:27 pm »
Easy job to do every 1 - 2 weeks if needed.

Touch up paint kit from VAG. Mix 2 parts paint to 1 part lacquer and using cocktail stick or artist brush touch in chip. Repeat once more 30 mins later and leave to dry for 2 hours.

Purchase a product called 'Langka' costs about £20 for a small bottle, but it lasts years. Put pea sized blob on cloth wrapped around a 'credit' card or equivalent and rub moderately until you can feel the 'blob' smoothing out. Then reduce pressure until you're happy it's flat. Polish area and re seal / coat with wax and job done.

Offline Tuffy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 09:17:23 pm »
Some good tips guys! Keep them coming  :happy2:

Offline celica

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 09:51:31 pm »
i've got stone chips but even more worst one has dented the bonnet a little ;-(
MKV Golf DSG

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 09:55:57 pm »
I've got two on my roof like that mate!

Offline bindinbear

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • Newbie lovin' the edition 30
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 06:50:35 pm »
You could try a stone chip protection pack? Had one on my 06 polo GTi. VW quoted an hr to fit and it took them four, I did laugh!!

Worked quite well although it didn't cover the whole bonnet, just the leading edge, front bumper and mirror covers.

You're not going to stop them all. Having to have my windscreen replaced on my 30 due to the same plus an irritating wiper arc scratch on the drivers side although it happened to the previous owner and i want her mint again, not cheap from VW!

Ventureshield also do something similar but would budget for 300 pound upwards. :happy2:
08' Edition 30 no.1899. 5dr steel grey DSG. MFSW, xenons, sunroof, rns510, ipod prep, armrest, voice activation, bluetooth, parking sensors.