Make a donation

Author Topic: Ed30 manual box slop removal (dieselgeeks)  (Read 1462 times)

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Ed30 manual box slop removal (dieselgeeks)
« on: January 26, 2021, 12:23:29 pm »
Hi folks.

Has anyone bought a refurb bushing kit from diesel geeks etc? If so what did you buy exactly and any thoughts on it during/after fitting. Difficulties or tips?

Not got major play but looking to refurb the golf and I think this and a shifter kit would make a difference.

Any opinions welcome.

Cheers

Cheers.

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
Re: Ed30 manual box slop removal (dieselgeeks)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 07:23:03 pm »
I’ve had a few things done to improve the shift - fresh oem oil / s3 shifter (is stock on ed30 iirc) / darkside solid bushings (similar to what you ask about)  / proflex engine mount inserts / removed the bleeder valve flow restrictor. None are a revelation individually, but they do add up quite nicely, and I would say that the engine mounts were probably the most influential. Sorry to be unable to give you an easy answer!

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 02:42:55 pm »
I’ve had a few things done to improve the shift - fresh oem oil / s3 shifter (is stock on ed30 iirc) / darkside solid bushings (similar to what you ask about)  / proflex engine mount inserts / removed the bleeder valve flow restrictor. None are a revelation individually, but they do add up quite nicely, and I would say that the engine mounts were probably the most influential. Sorry to be unable to give you an easy answer!

Cheers for the feedback mate much appreciated. Yeah im similar ive got new vibra mounts all round and I had my box strengthened with the R32 selector forks etc when I fitted the LSD. The dieselgeek stuff is like polybushing type material that swaps out bushes on the shifter and shifter bell housing etc. Some you can access from inside the car others you need to drop the exhaust and heatshield to get to the connections under the shifter tunnel.

But yeah shifter bushings like the ones you mentioned will get done as well as a short shift...basically everything under the bonnet as well. Just curious if anyone has done the bushes under the actual shifter (inside cabin)

Whats the bleeder valve flow restrictor?

Cheers tho

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 678
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 07:21:40 pm »
Probably the best thing I've done to improve the shift quality on mine is fitting a MK6 gearbox  :smiley:  Along with that, I also reshimmed the input shaft to remove all play.  This definitely helps with uprated clutches to improve shift consistency and shaft walk.

If not going that far, areas to look at are the white plastic socket the shift lever sits in, and all the associated linkage bushings.  The latter are a pain to get at and probably easier to drop the exhaust and attack it from underneath.  But anything Dieselgeek recommends and sells is a winner  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 02:26:07 pm »
Cheers @Pudding yeah the linkage bushes are on the agenda and I have read good things about the dieselgeek stuff.......a mk6 box tho is interesting didn't know that was an upgrade,,makes sense. Did you change that due to issues or just as an upgrade?

My box is spot on no crunching or struggle to find gears just looking to make it tighter and fresh tbh. Ill have a lot of time at home I think so want to use my time.

Watched some dieselgeek videos and I think I wld just drop the exhaust and heatshield for the internal linkage bushes. I've emailed them for the full kit so I'll stick a vid on YouTube with a before and after. I'll stick the link on once done for anyone interested.

Cheers

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 10:06:46 am »

Cheers for the feedback mate much appreciated. Yeah im similar ive got new vibra mounts all round and I had my box strengthened with the R32 selector forks etc when I fitted the LSD. The dieselgeek stuff is like polybushing type material that swaps out bushes on the shifter and shifter bell housing etc. Some you can access from inside the car others you need to drop the exhaust and heatshield to get to the connections under the shifter tunnel.

But yeah shifter bushings like the ones you mentioned will get done as well as a short shift...basically everything under the bonnet as well. Just curious if anyone has done the bushes under the actual shifter (inside cabin)

Whats the bleeder valve flow restrictor?

Cheers tho

It's the clutch bleeder valve.  Stock one has a flow restrictor in the middle which you can push out with a drill bit.  No need to buy a billet housing.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 678
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 06:39:26 pm »
Cheers @Pudding yeah the linkage bushes are on the agenda and I have read good things about the dieselgeek stuff.......a mk6 box tho is interesting didn't know that was an upgrade,,makes sense. Did you change that due to issues or just as an upgrade?

My box is spot on no crunching or struggle to find gears just looking to make it tighter and fresh tbh. Ill have a lot of time at home I think so want to use my time.

Watched some dieselgeek videos and I think I wld just drop the exhaust and heatshield for the internal linkage bushes. I've emailed them for the full kit so I'll stick a vid on YouTube with a before and after. I'll stick the link on once done for anyone interested.

Cheers

A rattling noise coming from the drivetrain was misdiagnosed as the gearbox.  Rather than rebuilding the MK5 box, I thought I'd fit a newer one instead.
No regrets though.  The 30K old MK6 box was only £250 from ebay and the newer boxes have improved shifting, and they also seem to favour shorter gear ratios with taller final drives (as opposed to the MK5's tall gears with short final drives), which means the gears are bigger (more teeth) and therefore stronger for remaps  :happy2:  It's way slicker than the MK5 box.  I reckon a MK7 shift tower, cables and end links would further bring these old cars up to date  :happy2:

Let us know how you get on with the diesel geek bushings etc  :happy2:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 06:41:10 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D