Make a donation

Author Topic: Synchro issues - what to do next. Advice needed.  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Samgolfgti5

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
Synchro issues - what to do next. Advice needed.
« on: February 08, 2021, 09:10:41 am »
Hi everyone, hope you are all good and healthy.

Anyway, I think I potentially have a synchro problem as whenever I try change into 6th gear there is a slight crunching noise. I figure if it was fluids or clutch etc it would be affecting more than just that one gear.

So my predicament is, do I try to get the synchro repaired (assuming that is the issue)? Do I drop a second hand transmission in? Or do I go for a DSG conversion (mine is 6speed manual). If so, how much does that cost, is it particularly difficult, and have many others done it?

Thanks in advance for your input everyone. :) :happy2:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 10:33:41 am by Samgolfgti5 »

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 80
Re: Synchro issues - what to do next. Advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 08:17:47 pm »
First try realigning your gear linkage before anything else - go to youtube and search "dieselegeek Golf gear linkage adjustment"
Next try changing the fluid.

Pudding replaced his box recently for a Mk6 one, it seems excellent value, better ratios and good upgrade in gear shift too -if you go down this road budget for new clutch too

By all accounts, converting to DSG is easier to buy a Gti that came with DSG - its not just the box and flappy paddle wheel-  its integrated into engine management, you will need donor ECU, looms, coding, etc.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 08:20:20 pm by LC5F »

Offline Samgolfgti5

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Synchro issues - what to do next. Advice needed.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 07:58:27 am »
First try realigning your gear linkage before anything else - go to youtube and search "dieselegeek Golf gear linkage adjustment"
Next try changing the fluid.

Pudding replaced his box recently for a Mk6 one, it seems excellent value, better ratios and good upgrade in gear shift too -if you go down this road budget for new clutch too

By all accounts, converting to DSG is easier to buy a Gti that came with DSG - its not just the box and flappy paddle wheel-  its integrated into engine management, you will need donor ECU, looms, coding, etc.

Thank you so much for the advice I shall look into these today. Much appreciated indeed. :)