Make a donation

Author Topic: Anyone running a vwr intake?  (Read 1514 times)

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
Anyone running a vwr intake?
« on: March 09, 2021, 11:56:54 pm »
I know they are a love/hate thing, more hate on here than love I think lol but there must be some peeps that still are?
I bought one a couple of years ago and sold in on here without fitting it but have bought another to fit at some point.
Just wondered what folks are using to clean the filter and which oil they are using to spray on the foam.
The dedicated 'kits' seem to be aroung £25-30.....wondered if you could use a diluted APC degreaser (got some Bilt Hamber) or washing up liquid etc?
Cheers.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 09:02:28 pm by Lewo »

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
Re: Anyone running a vwr intake?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 08:40:57 pm »
I have one - i do love how it looks and sounds, but the fitment did need 'finessing'.

As it is a rebranded ITG intake, I've just bought their filter and oil. Not used it to date I'm afraid...

I'm no expert but would have thought any degreaser would be ok. Not sure of a third party product to coat the filter with though...

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 09:04:08 pm »
How do you mean 'finessing' mate?

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 10:07:35 am »
Cheers I've seen the kits. I'm just penny pinching as I have got other stuff to hand. I've had a look at the filter and it's in good nick, just want to clean it.
Just seen on the vwr site it says you can also use washing up liquid in water afer using the spray cleaner so I think I'll mix up some Bilt Hamber surfex, not sure what % yet but can strengthen it if needed then do the washing up liquid after.
They also say that you can use ITG or Rock oil for re-oiling the filter.

https://www.racingline.com/filter-maintenance

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 08:23:05 pm »
How do you mean 'finessing' mate?

My garage had to use spacers to lift the mounting brackets up a bit so the air filter cannister wasn't rubbing on the coolant lines

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 03:51:54 pm »
Fairy liquid and warm water in the kitchen sink mate.  It's just removing oil at the end of the day, which doesn't need a special over priced chemical to achieve.

As for reoiling, I'd be tempted to not bother.  I've run Pipercross dry foam filters for years with no MAF or turbo damage, so it's apparently not essential.  I think it's just a way to tie consumers into the overpriced 'accessories' trap.

So long as twigs, wasps and crisp packets don't get into the engine, all is good  :happy2:

Most of the hate comes from me  :grin:  As most folk on here know, I did attempt to iron out the fitment issues with a proper flex coupling, filing the correct MAF profile into the intake pipe (it doesn't seal AT ALL out of the box  :doh: ) plus some other 'finessing' as Dave very diplomatically put it, but I just hated it.  Spending £450 on a kit that needed end consumer modifications to fit properly just left a bitter taste in my mouth, and it swiftly got moved on.

In terms of noise and power, it's actually a pretty good intake in that respect.  Not obnoxiously loud and there are noticeable gains past 5000rpm, but it wasn't enough to sway me away from my beloved stock intake  :grin:  Well, I actually hate the stock intake as it's heavy, restrictive (past 300hp) and annoying to service....but it's quiet and responsive, which is ultimately more important in a daily road car  :smiley:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 10:08:04 pm »
Cheers Pudding.
It was an itch I wanted to scratch again having sold my other one without trying it and it got it for a good price and I like the idea it's not 'chav' loud.  :signLOL:
I see there are 2 types of fitting to the grill so I'm not sure which one works best in a mk5?
Having said all that only 250 horses on mine so maybe it's not needed but I'm tempted to fit it later in the year, upgrade hpfp internals and get the map tweaked to 1+.......... :thinking: