All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

How many have been effected by headliner sagging?

<< < (10/18) > >>

pudding:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trim-Fix-500ml-Temperature-Adhesive-Lining/dp/B01L03CJGI/ref=dp_prsubs_2?pd_rd_i=B01L03CJGI&psc=1

GreigC:
Don’t bother fixing the existing headliner… if it’s sagged at the sun glasses tray it will all be stretched out of shape and look a mess once glued. Also it will be sagging under each sun visor next if not already then finally they let go in the middle centre light.

Source an 05 or early 06 year GTI that’s being broken they are made much better. I believe VW sourced a different manufacturer later in production. Hence the sagging.

If you have a newer car than 05, 06, the headliners all still fit but you might need to change the wiring over that sits above the headliner (use your old wiring) if it’s different. Easy to swap… VW literally just sellotaped them on (don’t forget to change this) your centre lights and sun visor lights won’t work. Early cars have the interior motion sensor in the middle left of interior headliner and was moved in later cars to centre dome light panel hence the different wiring.

Basically just take it all out like I did, days work at most and take your time it’s self explanatory really… just source an earlier year GTI headliner and fit it… job done. I’ve had no issues since and most importantly it looks perfect now.

rich83:
f*ck that… I’ll glue it and that will be that, creases or not. :-)

G-olf:
I've had this twice now. First time it was sagging round the sunglasses holder then starts to go round the sun visors.
I tried to glue it and it looked a mess. If the foam has separated the glue soaks straight through the material
When I looked at mine it was clear it hadn't come unstuck but was the thin foam had broken down separating the material.
It took ages to source a good condition replacement from the breakers, it looked good for 6 months and now its happening again in the same place.

I've been told by the dealer a 5dr anthracite headliner is no longer produced and not available, not tried anywhere else yet.

So as others have said if you're doing the job, watch the ribbon wiring on the reverse, especially at the sunvisor mount its easy to tear this, dont leave the headliner hanging on the wiring. Make sure the wiring is correct if swapping (illuminated mirrors, interior monitor etc)

Im thinking of adding some  stick on type heat insulation to the underside of my roof when I tackle the job again as an extra measure.

Possibly having the original re covered if I cant find any good replacements, they're all probably on borrowed time now due to age.
Has anyone seen the pre cut covers on e bay? was wondering how the stitching lines stay straight if you have to stretch it round the contours of the backing board and how awkward it would be having the pre cut holes?

Any thoughts?

pudding:
What about if you were to let the contact adhesive go off before pushing it all together?  Shouldn't soak through then?  Sounds like a pain in the hoop either way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version