Make a donation

Author Topic: Reducing understeer  (Read 8202 times)

Offline gobbleplease

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
Reducing understeer
« on: March 28, 2010, 07:05:35 pm »
Just wondering what your best mod has been to reduce understeer and gain general good grip levels during wet and dry conditions. Ive got a few bits and bobs but was just wondering what works best, ive been struggling keeping the car where it should be recently. :scared:
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
Re: Reducing understeer
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 07:08:58 pm »
One of benefits of the White Line Anti Lift kit is a reduction in understeer, so for the money that's a good starting place  :happy2:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 07:09:50 pm »
ARB's, WALK and at least some uprated springs should help neutralise the evil of understeer :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline RobH

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
  • Revo stg 2+
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 07:09:50 pm »
I would say WALKit and ARB's front set to soft and rear set to hard, would be a good combo for reducing understeer.

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 07:39:32 pm »
I would say WALKit and ARB's front set to soft and rear set to hard, would be a good combo for reducing understeer.
^ X 2
Exactly how mine is set up and really makes a difference to the amount of understeer imo  :happy2:

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 08:03:05 pm »
go in slower :wink:
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 08:09:39 pm »

totally agree.

even with ARBs / WALKs you can still get a car to understeer as there's only a finite amount of grip the tyres can cope with before "giving up"

so get ur entry speed right and you shouldn't have understeer.

but of course everyone wants to go round corners as fast as they can. in which case get a flat floor / major aero pack etc.

:happy2:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 08:48:19 pm by chungster »

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 08:29:56 pm »

totally agree.

even with ARBs / WALKs you can still get a car to understeer as there's only a finite amount of grip the tyres can cope with before "giving up"

so get ur entry speed right and you should have understeer.

but of course everyone wants to go round corners as fast as they can. in which case get a flat floor / major aero pack etc.

:happy2:

I'd also agree that getting the speed right before the corner is the right approach, but imo the ARBs/WALK or other similiar handling mods will change the characteristics of the car and the point at which understeer will start to creep in, obviously mine still understeers although the mods have definately shifted the point at which it does occur imo..
I think the major advantage for me personally is then how the car behaves at or near to that point, i prefer the slight lift-off oversteer that my ARBs (H&R set on rear hard/front soft) give as it really does help you to tighten your line if required  :happy2:

Besides i was brought up on a diet of french clutter so spent a few years going through hedges. backwards. upside down.on fire in VTRs and VTSs so kinda used to a loose back end..  :signLOL:

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 08:47:17 pm »
Oooops should of mentioned i have coilovers, ARBs and a walk i was wondering which one makes the biggest differance and if there are any other parts that would help !

Ive not had any of them fitted yet as i wanted to drive the car a bit more as standard, but the car is booked in in 10 days time to have all this as well as a few others fitted.

Also i would of thought the arbs wouldnt really gain the "grip" in the wet or on uneven Brittish B roads over the standard ARBs,
yes this might reduce understeer, but when the understeer is reduced would this not bring on oversteer ?? your experiances please. !

Im all for fitting the coilies and walk but im a bit wearie of WET grip levels, Uneven road grip levels and substituting understeer for more lift off oversteer with the addition of ARBS, can anyone reasure me that this is not the case ??

Thanks in advance Bryan  :popcornsoda:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 09:06:39 pm »
i had same as you  and fund the most positive mod of all for reducing understeer as the antiroll bars. the walk is good, but some of the reviews i have read on it make it feel like i have had a different bit of kit, dont get me won i found it a good mod, ut the ARBs did more for me.

arbs wont give you more oversteer provided you upgrade them in balance with the std sizes, ie do them in pairs.  by just doing the rear bar you are altering the balance of the car. I was actually considering getting an eve stiffer rear bar to give me a more lively rear end

Offline gillm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 09:31:24 pm »
corner weighting and good tyres . and what chungster said . slow in fast out
west tuned gt28 @ 340hp

Offline tommy30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 09:41:34 pm »

Another no no that will increase understeer is fitting wheel spacers on the rear.

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 10:00:08 pm »
How did you find the eibach arbs in the wet and on b roads ?
Reduced grip over standard ?

Cheers

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 10:03:51 pm »
i havent a bad  thing to say about them, apart from fancying a stiffer rear bar, but thats down to my driving style, the car is very neutral in the wet or dry.  try some different pressures front and rear, ive not done it myself, someone like tonydanza would be able to shed som light on it, but i here it can make a big difference