Make a donation

Author Topic: struggling to sell  (Read 2484 times)

Offline djmadman

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
struggling to sell
« on: May 25, 2021, 03:00:57 pm »
Guys & Gals (Admin too)

This isnt a classified, let me get that straight out there.

This is more of a, "can anyone lend a hand?"

i have my GTi up for sale on various sites, ideally im expecting £5k for her.
yet its struggling to sell,

is my estimation too high? is there no demand for a mk5 GTi anymore? what am i not getting?

then you get the tossers who want to jump on the band wagon (Whos GTi's look sh!te in comparison demanding double...)

Anyway, point of this is, if anyone would like to shed some honest light on this, id be more than happy to send pics to help with an enthusiasts estimation.

Admin, if this is not allowed or in the wrong place i do apologise @Andy

Offline Jb55

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 13
Re: struggling to sell
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 03:04:54 pm »
How can we say if 5k is to high if you don’t put up what spec gti it is

Offline djmadman

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 03:10:40 pm »
How can we say if 5k is to high if you don’t put up what spec gti it is

i didnt want to make it public in case it was frowned upon by admins etc.

but, for response to your question lol

2008 black DSG (Import)
stage 1 (257bhp)
cobra tbe with sport cat
5 door
FSH
18" Monza's
heated leather (would be perfect condition apart from small tare on drivers bolster)
2zone climatronic
ramair oversize induction kit

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 03:12:58 pm »
Pics will be fine. What mileage is it?

Edit: if it's the one on eBay it's already at £4900??
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 03:15:22 pm by Jons1001 »

Offline djmadman

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 03:13:27 pm »

well 109200 to be exact lol

Offline djmadman

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 03:15:22 pm »

Sorry its pic heavy

Offline djmadman

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 03:16:34 pm »

thats the one, although the highest bidder is asking to pull out and reserve is not met

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2021, 03:23:03 pm »

thats the one, although the highest bidder is asking to pull out and reserve is not met

Is this the first time you've listed it on there? Hopefully get a flurry of bids at the end.

I would maybe rewrite the advert aswell. Go into more detail about the servicing, list any major works e.g cambelt, chain, thermostat etc. will attract more people if they know it has been well looked after.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 03:28:14 pm by Jons1001 »

Offline djmadman

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2021, 03:25:35 pm »

Is this the first time you've listed it on there? Hopefully get a flurry of bids at the end.

2nd mate, relisted it, had it at £5,500 BIN, this time round did 99p with the 5.5 reserve.
Kinda left a bitter taste in the mouth so to speak,. paid 7,500 18mths ago, these GTi's cant devalue that badly can they? ok the modification are subjective...

i thought 5-5,00 was fair lol

but as you say lets see if we get a flurry of bids, fingers crossed

Offline Jb55

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2021, 03:30:11 pm »
It’s a bit of a basic spec gti plus with the mileage 5k might be a bit high, has the oil leak been sorted on it and what’s with the two mots in September 2013 with different mileage showing

Offline djmadman

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2021, 03:44:51 pm »
It’s a bit of a basic spec gti plus with the mileage 5k might be a bit high, has the oil leak been sorted on it and what’s with the two mots in September 2013 with different mileage showing

2013 werent me, so no idea. the oil leak was identified by VW after a service (so potentially spilled oil) and they want 200quid to investigate. so not sure if there is a leak, i certainly havent noticed one on the drive.

agreed on basic spec, only mods air induction, remap and exhaust.

In your honest opinion what would you expect mate?

and FYI i dont really wanna sell, but family commitments etc lol

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,131272.0.html
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2021, 03:48:25 pm »
Had mine on autotrader recently for 5150, had non stop calls before I changed my mind and decided to keep. Some low-ballers but as I was firm on price because I didn't want to sell they were still interested at that price. It was similar to yours really except it had a side skirt that didn't match and it's manual, bar that very similar. I did list all the major jobs I'd done on it since owning though and mentioned all the bits I'd done in last 12 months like tyres, brakes etc. 5 is very fair, and 5500 maybe is also frankly for the right buyer. These cars do hold value well but typically a dealer will always get a bit more for a car than a casual private seller.

I've also got oil leak on mine, so minor only the MOT man would notice or when you take the plastic engine under guard off and see a minor build up. It's pretty common to get oil from the boost pipes sometimes, no big deal at all really but MOT person has to mention it I think anyway.

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2021, 03:52:18 pm »
Also has it had its dsg services every 40k? This is the sort of thing people want to see.

Offline djmadman

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2021, 03:54:13 pm »
Had mine on autotrader recently for 5150, had non stop calls before I changed my mind and decided to keep. Some low-ballers but as I was firm on price because I didn't want to sell they were still interested at that price. It was similar to yours really except it had a side skirt that didn't match and it's manual, bar that very similar. I did list all the major jobs I'd done on it since owning though and mentioned all the bits I'd done in last 12 months like tyres, brakes etc. 5 is very fair, and 5500 maybe is also frankly for the right buyer. These cars do hold value well but typically a dealer will always get a bit more for a car than a casual private seller.

I've also got oil leak on mine, so minor only the MOT man would notice or when you take the plastic engine under guard off and see a minor build up. It's pretty common to get oil from the boost pipes sometimes, no big deal at all really but MOT person has to mention it I think anyway.

Thanks for your input mate, most appreciated.

I didnt list any of the things i had done, i.e VW major service, new brakes new tyres etc, thought it be irrelevant. but looking back thats exactly what id look for as a buyer! FECK!

ok, ill see how it goes tonight, if ebay doesnt sell, then when i get to the required amount of posts on here ill stick it up for sale.

and yeah i have had non stop people offering me 1k or offering me a swap for a fiesta, come on guys, there is Pi55 taking and there is being a CNUT  :signLOL:

Offline djmadman

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2021, 03:55:37 pm »
Also has it had its dsg services every 40k? This is the sort of thing people want to see.

will double check the service book mate, sods law is that the minor service is now due too ! BUGGER! lol