Make a donation

Author Topic: Front grill Philips screws  (Read 975 times)

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 6
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,115571.0.html
Front grill Philips screws
« on: June 24, 2021, 11:24:43 am »
Currently have a Chinese front grill put on but plan to paint/refurb the original genuine one I have in the loft.

The Chinese one has become rather brittle and half the tabs have snapped off where I've been taking it on and off over the last couple years.

Also the 2 Philips screws have disappeared and it's basically hanging on but the 2 torx screws at the top.

Does anyone know the size of the Philips screws? And can you get a bag of the torx screws? They are rusty and some missing in other places like from the tray/pan that goes under the engine.

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=qnajm763ii8c45pcl5gnvgh05r&/topic,131272.0.html
Re: Front grill Philips screws
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 11:35:40 am »
Ebay "vw torx screws" and you can buy quite a few spares for not much at all, that's what I've done. If you look hard enough you may find the Phillips ones but a box of Phillips assortments from any hardware merchant may have what you're after. They may be the same screws as used on the fog grilles so could use one of those as a reference if you test fit them and it works.

Offline CalMac

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
  • My Ride: 2007 MK5 GTI BWA
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 04:26:08 pm »
I’ve got the same problem but I’m just living with it atm.

Ive stumbled across an eBay seller from the TT forum who sells stainless steel self tapping trim screws. Might be worth a look into so you don’t have them rotting off the following year only to do this all over again  :doh:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401755569899

He has various different sizes available so make sure it’s the right thread and pitch before buying, looks like they are all Allen head as well.

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 11:02:47 pm »
More evidence of ebay Chinese rubbish im afraid.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 678
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 11:02:55 pm »
The screws in question (the 2 just under the number plate plinth, right?) are a cone/tapered head and not flat like those linked above.  I'd say they're an M4 size as a guess, approx an inch long, from memory.

Hmmmm, yeah I had a chinese grille and immediately threw it in the bin when it arrived  :grin:  I ended up painting the original one in satin black to get rid of the 57 shades of grey.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D