Make a donation

Author Topic: Brake servo vacuum pipe  (Read 1007 times)

Offline J30SBO

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
  • 2007 GTI ed30
  • My Ride: Mk5 GTI edition 30
Brake servo vacuum pipe
« on: June 28, 2021, 10:22:55 am »
Noticed the other day, if I go from full boost onto the brakes I get little assistance initially! Checked the vac line off of the pump to the servo and sure as anything both ends cracked, the vac pump end I could actually pull the rigid pipe off of its connector! So for a temp fix I’ve used some pretty tough tape and ties to seal the pipes and now I have assistance as soon as I come off the throttle in boost and the pedal overall feels more responsive! I have always had a very slight hiss from the pedal area and assumed I have a small leak on the servo, but now I’m thinking the lines are letting air being pulled into the servo under vacuum thus causing a slight audible hiss?

Offline G-olf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
Re: Brake servo vacuum pipe
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 06:19:28 pm »
Hi,

Had to do mine a couple of weeks back, a loud screeching noise followed by hanging idle and various fault codes.
It was the second part that had gone after the pass through joint under the vac pump. I bought a new one from aks and the little green blanking plug.

Offline J30SBO

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
  • 2007 GTI ed30
  • My Ride: Mk5 GTI edition 30
Re: Brake servo vacuum pipe
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2021, 11:33:04 am »
Update..

Changed all the vacuum pipes from the pump to the servo/inlet. The brakes feel so much firmer/stronger and now inspire confidence! the inlet pipes must have been leaking a fair bit as it feels so much sharper and harder on boost! So much smoother when normally driving in traffic etc! If you haven’t ever checked yours I’d definitely have a look!