Make a donation

Author Topic: Oem suspension mated to other chassis mods??  (Read 7283 times)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Oem suspension mated to other chassis mods??
« on: March 29, 2010, 06:42:19 pm »
Ive decided to keep my car now and build a track car on the side instead of selling up and getting 2 new motors, I couldnt bring myself to have a diesel estate. instead ill tame the vRS down a bit for everyday driving.

Ive bought a set of Ed30 suspension off one of the resident ED30 geezers on here, and think ill fit them in place of my coilovers.  just interested to know if there any damping or spring differences between the ed30 and GTI.

The std vRS suspension is pretty high unless you go for the eibach sports springs package.  HOw much further does the GTI drop on the eibachs from std

chers guys
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 08:20:29 pm by vRSy »

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
Re: Ed30 vS GTI OEM suspension
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 06:48:10 pm »
The Gti shares the same suspension as the edition 30

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 06:49:46 pm »

+1

Some say they feel a difference but the suspension is exactly the same part number between the two cars..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 06:52:08 pm »

+1

Some say they feel a difference but the suspension is exactly the same part number between the two cars..

possibly a wheel thing ?

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 06:54:17 pm »
anyone know the ride height drop for the upgrade to eibachs.  i think the GTI sits lower than the vRS as standard.

im keeping the WALK and front anti roll bar, but ill be beefing the rear anti roll bar to something stiffer.  might go for some TT lower control arms as well.

that should give me all the grip and reduced undesteer back whilst retaining ride comfort.  i dont want to sacrifice the handling to much

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 06:55:28 pm »
+1
possibly a wheel thing ?

vRS runs 225/40 R18s. coud be bigger arches maybe

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 06:57:17 pm »
anyone know the ride height drop for the upgrade to eibachs.  i think the GTI sits lower than the vRS as standard.

im keeping the WALK and front anti roll bar, but ill be beefing the rear anti roll bar to something stiffer.  might go for some TT lower control arms as well.

that should give me all the grip and reduced undesteer back whilst retaining ride comfort.  i dont want to sacrifice the handling to much

I think TT bottom arms and stock suspension with H&R springs and a proper rear bar along with the WALK kit should make for a really nice handling but useable car day to day..

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 06:59:56 pm »
what the difference between the eibachs and the H&R springs. 

What rear bar would you reccommend JC, considering the vRS has the fatter arse end, and im also running the eibach front ARB and WALk already.  it needs to be a worthwhile change over the eibach rear bar to make it worth the extra cash

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 07:01:57 pm »
what the difference between the eibachs and the H&R springs. 

What rear bar would you reccommend JC, considering the vRS has the fatter arse end, and im also running the eibach front ARB and WALk already.  it needs to be a worthwhile change over the eibach rear bar to make it worth the extra cash

Does the VRS run the same bar as the GTI? So would an aftermarket GTI bar fit?? If so the BSH bar is pretty much the most solid out there..

Dont know the difference between Eibach and H&R if any.. I know a lot of parts are the same between KW / Eibach and H&R so its hard to say.. The only lowering springs I have ever used were H&R and they were pretty good which is why I mentioned them but if you already have Eibach I would say stick with them for the cost..

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 07:13:02 pm »
pretty much all the gti stuff is interchangable so i think ill look into the BSH rear bar

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 07:30:39 pm »
pretty much all the gti stuff is interchangable so i think ill look into the BSH rear bar

Cool.. Makes it easy!  :happy2:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
Re: Oem suspension mated to other chassis mods??
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 08:56:49 pm »
Sorry to partially hijack the thread, but you both clearly know more about suspension than me!  :ashamed:

so my question is ..... my understanding is that the R32 is lower than the GTI, in stock format not sure if the suspension is harder as well, but are the R32 shock and coils interchangeable with a GTI or does the 4WD system mean the positioning and geometry is different?

And if they are would fitting the R32 spring and possibly shocks give a GTI a lower stance, while kinda keeping it OEM?

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 09:08:28 pm »
the spring stiffness's would very likely be different due to the extra weight of the v6 lump and 4wd.  not even sure if the they would fit nyhow, but id just look into lowering springs instead, much more cost effective

Offline tommy30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 09:18:59 pm »

Vrsy, why not keep your coilovers on? Unless they're decked or the damping is silly

stiff they'll be comfy enough for daily driving. And you'll have the benefit of running

the ride height that pleases you  :happy2:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 09:33:05 pm »
Vrsy, why not keep your coilovers on? Unless they're decked or the damping is silly
stiff they'll be comfy enough for daily driving. And you'll have the benefit of running
the ride height that pleases you  :happy2:

its not as simple as just changing the hight as then all the money that went into corner weighting and getting the car balanced is wasted.

To be honest ive had the coilovers on for the last year or so and until now i've been happy with them.  the roads where i used to live were dead smooth, but around medway the roads are horrendous.  the coilovers were good, but i need a change i think.  when i get a second car for a track toy, ill do that as no holds barred