Make a donation

Author Topic: The correct way to store a GTI  (Read 1070 times)

Offline vwmike1991

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
The correct way to store a GTI
« on: October 27, 2021, 06:50:43 pm »
Hello folks, having fell on a stroke of luck (some would say a curse) I've managed to acquire a cheap fiesta st to take up the gti's role of weekend/track day toy.

However I've grown rather fond of the golf and cant bring myself to part ways with it or at least yet and with the tax being due up soon I need to put it away in the garage into storage as running 3 is pretty much financially killing me and as no one wants to see me on onlyfans I think this is my only choice.

So I'm looking for some advice on ways of storing it properly, I've got a normal double garage which it lives in on a trickle charger is this sufficient enough to leave it for a while or are there other precautions I should be taking to keep it as good as possible?

Offline Fallout-NL

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
Re: The correct way to store a GTI
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 10:55:24 am »
Perhaps this goes without saying, but: top of the tank with 98 or 99 fuel with as little ethanol as possible (I think that's mostly the stuff that goes gummy) and add some stabilizer?

Other than that, yeah the trickle charger.

Someone else's probably got better tips than I do.

On the topic of the trickle charger. Likely not an issue for the Golf, but my dad once had a Buell M2 Cyclone under a trickle charger with the battery still connected and the voltage regulator actually caught fire. It was a good thing we were standing next to it when it happened. Could have burned the house down if we hadn't caught it in time. A person who actually understands electrical engineering will probably be able to tell you if that is any way a risk with the electrical systems on cars, but yeah. Could be a reason to disconnect the battery. Perhaps even remove it from the car entirely.

Good on ya for keeping the car though!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 12:01:41 pm »
The only thing I'd say about garage storage is to make sure it's well ventilated.  Damp garages are worse than leaving a car outside!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 80
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 04:08:26 pm »
I prefer disconnecting the battery when not in use - just make sure the drivers door is unlocked before you do this.

To stop injectors and seals gumming up, start and run the car up to temperature every couple of months.

As mentioned before - fuel goes off, try not to park it with a full tank - draining a tank of bad fuel is not ideal.

If left long enough, tyres will eventually create flat spots - you can either get special flat spot protectors (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162424237123) or even better lift the Golf up on axle stands this will also remove strain on bushes.

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 08:07:52 pm »
Are you storing a car in a garage or putting a baby to sleep? You do know it's just a car and not a living thing right?

Offline vwmike1991

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 10:54:49 pm »
The tank is topped off with about 30 quid's worth of v-power, ventilation is no issue as the other side of the garage has the daily going in and out all the time.

The GTI pretty much is a damn baby at this point it drives me insane but if anyone ever tried to take it from me I think I'd end up stabbing them!

Just really checking that what I'm doing is along the right lines, thanks for the input

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2021, 09:20:23 am »
Get a pole or something keep the clutch depressed