Make a donation

Author Topic: Swirl flap removal HELP!  (Read 1732 times)

Offline MattyAB19

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Swirl flap removal HELP!
« on: October 30, 2021, 06:40:48 pm »
Hello all! I am new to golf ownership and this website. Looking for some wisdom! First some history….

I recently purchased a mk5 GT TDI PD170. Looks mint inside and out but I was getting an issue with warning lights and going into limp mode. Also on cold starting it would start and stall, then when restarted be completely fine. Idle was defo a bit bumpy. Driving wise pulled really well. The garage I took it to to check it over said it was a little smoky.

Anyway, I purchase the aluminium intake manifold kit from darkside developments which eliminates the swirl flaps. I figured I would put this on and remove the risk of swirl flaps, also possibly helping the bumpy idle. Suspecting a blocked up EGR I also thought it would be a good chance to clean it too.

Upon completing the work all is back together. I found it slightly harder to pull the boost pipe back up into the throttle body but am fairly happy I got it good in the end. Anyone else find this?

My other issue is the plastic manifold didn’t actually have any swirl flaps in it! So I believe someone has messed about with it in the past. The small red solenoid thingy doesn’t connect to anything and to the left of where the intake manifold fits, there is a hole in the head which is totally blocked up with soot. Is this where something to do with the swirl flaps once lived?

My last issue is how to block off the vacuum pipe for the solenoid? I couldn’t make sense of the instructions I got from darkside. Currently the car starts first time every time now and idles very smoothly compared to before. However I have the flashing glow plug light and it is in limp mode only. Please help!