Make a donation

Author Topic: Crazy tale on first drive!  (Read 14377 times)

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
Re: Crazy tale on first drive!
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 06:30:17 pm »
I would reject the car now...wouldn't feel comfortable in it no matter what they change. Like someone else has said, complain like mad and get what you can from them, unacceptable.
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline jamesh72

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 06:43:13 pm »
Ditto the reject suggestion - what else might they have forgotten to do? Something else that could rear its head later once out of warranty..

Offline cmdrfire

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 07:03:31 pm »
Something similar happened to me on my first trip to the 'Ring. Was on my way home by myself, vibration in the wheel all the way from Germany, 10km from Calais it was getting really bad... pulled over at the last service station before the Tunnel, was pulling in to park, the car fell forward!
Jacked it up and got the wheel off with the help of a Frenchman, put the spare on... there were only two wheel bolts left, of which one had sheared. The wheel was only held on by one bolt!

Never found what it was in the end, whether or not someone had tried stealing the wheel or whether my tyre place didn't torque the bolts correctly...

But it's a dangerous thing and I'm glad you're alright. For this to happen at any speed is potentially catastrophic. First thing I'd check is whether or not the dealer had torqued the bolts. Were you able to recover any of them?

Also, I'd be inclined to want a new car... with my incident it was quite lucky, the car fell forward at almost no speed onto the wheel and was held up by the wheel/wheelarch interface. With this, no telling what damage could have been caused without thoroughly inspecting the vehicle. Also there would have been undue stresses placed on areas of the car not designed for it... might be better to get a new one, if you can.

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 07:27:50 pm »
think i'll go tighten me nuts now......

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 08:24:59 pm »
think i'll go tighten me nuts now......

I knew a girl like that.

Offline Rhys

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 09:06:23 pm »
I picked my 2007 GTI up from VW this morning too.  Glad my drive home was not as eventful as this :surprised:

Gutted for you mate, did it damage the front of the car when the wheel fell off?

Offline chungE

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 09:45:56 pm »
Thats definitely a sad new car story.
When you say the wheel came off, i didn't think you meant the actual wheel. Of course there isn't any other meaning to wheel but thats quite unbelievable!

Offline cat69uk

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2010, 09:46:01 pm »
Thanks for all the support guys.  I'm not going to name and shame, yet..........  I'm going to wait and see if they do the right thing.  All I'll say is this is a large official Audi dealership.

I've put forward my case, that they have breached duty of care and absolute negligence.  I said I wouldn't expect this from a corner dealer on a £500 car, and especially not fromm a major franchise.  Instead of an unhappy customer they could have had a case of manslaughter to face.  They have been extremely apologetic and accept that it is unacceptable, I guess they have probably sought legal advice already.  They said I can have a full refund, but isn;t that just a straight get out?

I have an A3 courtesy car.  I said I wasn't in the right frame of mind to discuss yet, I've said as little as possible and await their call after the holiday weekend.

I'll keep you updated.

Offline cat69uk

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2010, 10:03:11 pm »
Cmdfire,

Nope, walked back along the road, couldn't find any bolts.  None had sheared in the thread, so they have all fallen out!  I reckon, checked pads, hand tight the bolts, got distracted(mobile, fag break??) and then forgot the job inhand.  Cosmetic damage looked very minor as I stopped almost immediately.

As you all say, the unseen damage?

Offline tommy30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 10:05:30 pm »

Hi, and glad nobody was hurt (both you and potentially other road users/pedestrians).

But seriously, you said you felt vibration, which would have been felt quite strongly if

your front wheel is trying it's best to wobble free, why on earth didn't you pull over to

check the wheels were secure? Your first car maybe? Hope all ends well  :happy2:

Offline cat69uk

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2010, 10:16:54 pm »
Tommy, Not first car fella, other side of 40! This was minor vibration to major in the space of a minute and I didn't have anywhere suitable to pull over.  Due to the Stunner tyres on the front( had it booked in for new Michelins in the morning), I put it initially down to them, If I'd had good tyres on I would have reacted quicker to the problem.

Live and learn...

Offline MR Pap

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2010, 10:24:36 pm »
Have you thought of taking legal advice?

When asked "What would the dogs bollocks look like with four wheels" VW designed the golf gti.

Offline tommy30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2010, 10:26:19 pm »

I hope this hasn't put you off the gti, such a fabulous car. Got mine last summer and

even now, when i pick the car key up to go out in it, i get butterflies in my stomach!

Cheers  :happy2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2010, 12:36:43 am »
Mate, absolutely shocking. Your first drive in GTI should be memorable. I still remember the joy my car was to drive on the way home and I didn't even hit the turbo!

I hope you get this sorted. As above - a better car for the cash or free services etc etc.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline cat69uk

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2010, 08:16:22 am »
Updated with pics: