Make a donation

Author Topic: Black spots on trunk 2.0tfsi  (Read 2475 times)

Offline Jb55

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 13
Re: Black spots on trunk 2.0tfsi
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2022, 12:32:15 am »
What's your oil consumption like?
Mine used to chuck out a lot of soot and I could see in the mirror on hard acceleration a plume of stour/dust coming out the exhaust. Tail pipe and bumper sooty.
Mine had high oil consumption, changing to thicker oil helped but still high, double the recommended at 2 litres per 1k miles - eventually pinned this down to blown oil seal in the hot side of the turbo.
Now I barely have any soot on the exhaust & oil consumption has quartered.

What was the fix ? Turbo reconditioned or new turbo ?

Offline Keks3003

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2022, 06:45:04 am »
Mine used to chuck out a lot of soot and I could see in the mirror on hard acceleration a plume of stour/dust coming out the exhaust. Tail pipe and bumper sooty.
Mine had high oil consumption, changing to thicker oil helped but still high, double the recommended at 2 litres per 1k miles - eventually pinned this down to blown oil seal in the hot side of the turbo.

Oil consuption is ok, 0,6l 6000km.....

Offline Mekaniko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2022, 04:56:27 pm »

I was pointing that too the turbo, and makes a lot or sense. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 80
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2022, 10:02:26 am »
@Jb55 & @Mekaniko
Mine was very obviously burning oil in the turbo, downpipe off there was carbon around the turbine wheel where oil was coming out past the seal
But - at the same time I also had my head serviced at the same time, unsure how much ware there was in 95k miles, but it did get new valve guides & seals.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2022, 12:24:44 pm »
Turbos usually go first but sometimes you can get guide wear as well, just to add to the party.

Out-rule the engine by doing a compression/leak down test and borrow/buy a borescope and inspect the cylinder walls.   If that side of things is all good, it's likely the turbo by process of elimination.

You can also check for valve guide wear by letting the engine over-run down a long hill in 3rd or 4th, then nail it at the bottom.  Big cloud of blue smoke?  Guides.

Oil smoke/burning oil smells after idling for 10 mins, such as heavy traffic, could be either.  This behaviour seems to be fairly common with modern petrol DI Turbo engines though.  I've sat behind 3-4 year old Minis, 135is and MK7s that stink of burning oil in heavy traffic.  No smoke when they pull away, but I can smell it.  I was in the missus's TDI at the time, so knew it wasn't my car doing it  :grin:  They were probably all remapped or neglected. Shot turbo bearings.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D