All Things Mk5 > Members Rides

Adolf the Golf

<< < (5/14) > >>

Clarky:
So bit of a busy few days with the old beast! Starting with the smaller stuff...the old DV which was in better shape than I thought it would be..In the bin! As mighty car mods would say...New GFB and new solenoid too. Worst bit was getting the multiplug off. Seems to make a nicer noise now, no noticeable difference apart from that, but it's future proof!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Clarky:
So this happened a few weeks back..before MOT time..I decided to bite the bullet and buy a gravity turbo back system..the old exhaust had a repair from before my tenure which I hated, it was a mish mash of factory and Miltek and was generally a mess. Yes the Gravity is cheap and I am not expecting it to be the best..but it has a 200 cell cat, has neat welds, fits pretty good, isn't too loud and is better than what was there previously. It came with all the clamps etc. all I bought was a new set of nuts for the turbo, though upon inspection the downpipe had been off before and not too long ago. I used some ebay vouchers and got the lot for under £400.. 3 inch downpipe with 200 cell cat and the middle silencer and backbox too..bargain! I am sure there will be the " why not buy a proper brand" questions...the answer is I don't need that on a car like this. Everyone is different I guess!

GilesWoodward59:
Impressed by the price of the exhaust system. Under £600 for a full TBE with 200 cel cat make all the other systems look ridiculously over priced. What’s the catch??

Clarky:
I think the catch is that it should have been an awful lot more than that but I piggybacked some voucher codes and somehow it went through! Other than that so far so good. I am sure it won’t outlast some of the competition, but it’ll outlast my ownership of the car in all likelihood!

Clarky:
So my other advisory on the MOT was 2 weeping dampers...as you can see I also found another broken coil ( there were the rears done on the MOT before I bought it) at the front so I already had a set of adjustable coilovers with pillow ball top mounts and uprated drop links ready to go ...what a sh!t of a job getting the dampers out of the hubs! I was toying with swapping the hubs for the aluminium Passhat ones in the future but frankly don't ever want to take the wheels off ever again now. Have them at factory height give or take and the dampers pretty soft for road use..Will start looking for bushes and wish bones etc early next year and maybe ARBs too..depends how often I use it in anger in the spring as I have another track toy available which was going to get mothballed for a rebuild. Let's see!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version