Make a donation

Author Topic: Subframe Clunk/Pop/Creak  (Read 3683 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
Re: Subframe Clunk/Pop/Creak
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2022, 12:17:24 pm »
Another thought - how are the wishbone bushes? Just thinking the static geometry could be absolutely spot-on on the alignment rig when the car isn't moving, but once rolling, bad bushes can allow road wheel movement, which will knock the toe out.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2022, 12:46:45 pm »
Another thought - how are the wishbone bushes? Just thinking the static geometry could be absolutely spot-on on the alignment rig when the car isn't moving, but once rolling, bad bushes can allow road wheel movement, which will knock the toe out.

I thought this as well. Just be aware wishbone bushes can occasionally be harder to change than they first appear…

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2022, 01:33:11 pm »

The wishbones were replaced with Passat arms and came with the bushes. Only done 3k max since they were fitted. Incidentally Kev, i got that drone noise again today......but on very gently applying the brake pedal whist moving it went away, hence I am now convinced its the caliper that's the culprit?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2022, 02:57:40 pm »

The wishbones were replaced with Passat arms and came with the bushes. Only done 3k max since they were fitted. Incidentally Kev, i got that drone noise again today......but on very gently applying the brake pedal whist moving it went away, hence I am now convinced its the caliper that's the culprit?

Mine pulls and tugs all over the shop (especially when accelerating hard) and it has Passat arms with SuperPro console bushes and stock front bushes.  It really does feel like either the bushes are loose and sloppy, or the wheel bearings have had it.....but on the alignment rig it's 100% bob on!  Feckin car  :grin:

I don't think brakes could cause droning noises unless you have drilled or grooved discs and grumbly track pads?

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2022, 06:11:39 pm »

Mine pulls and tugs all over the shop (especially when accelerating hard) and it has Passat arms with SuperPro console bushes and stock front bushes.  It really does feel like either the bushes are loose and sloppy, or the wheel bearings have had it.....but on the alignment rig it's 100% bob on!  Feckin car  :grin:

I don't think brakes could cause droning noises unless you have drilled or grooved discs and grumbly track pads?

Well TBH mine with 433HP & 447TQ is a bit of a handful when on the loud pedal, but generally a joy and comfortable too. I have Brembo 312 drilled discs, and opted for the Tarox OEM pads....I've never been happy with the 6 pot Tarox kit - Just never felt right, so likely I'll swap it out for a set of MK7 R calipers amd 340mm discs as had them on the KO4 converted GTi and they were excellent with OEM pads too 

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2022, 06:35:33 pm »

Well TBH mine with 433HP & 447TQ is a bit of a handful when on the loud pedal, but generally a joy and comfortable too. I have Brembo 312 drilled discs, and opted for the Tarox OEM pads....I've never been happy with the 6 pot Tarox kit - Just never felt right, so likely I'll swap it out for a set of MK7 R calipers amd 340mm discs as had them on the KO4 converted GTi and they were excellent with OEM pads too

OK, well my Clubsport S drilled discs did make a noise, but more of a quiet ticking than a drone when pulling up to a stop with medium pedal pressure. I did have drilled Zimmerman discs in the past that kind of droned, but that's because they were f'cked  :grin:

Glad you're happy with the power, we just need to get this tracking thing sorted! 

I've got some red MQB 340mm calipers with GTI emblem plates, genuine pads and genuine Clubsport S discs if you're interested.  I bought them brand new so they haven't changed hands a million times on ebay  :grin:  They're surplus to requirements as I'll be selling the car at some point this year.