Make a donation

Author Topic: Jump start  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Jamesf1010

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Jump start
« on: September 04, 2022, 08:12:24 pm »
Hi, just wondering where would be the recommended ground point to connect to when jump starting the Mk5 GTI?
I had to do this the other day and we used the negative battery terminal which my dad says is how he had always done it, but a bit of reading suggests that it shouldn't really be done that way.

I can't really see anywhere that looks obvious where to the negative lead to and will need to do this again (battery drained using air compressor to inflate flat tyre and didn't have engine on!)

If there are any ideas about where to go with it that would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=tgullb2o9ls21215tij7lg1uvj&/topic,131272.0.html
Re: Jump start
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 08:34:01 pm »
I've done it this way for years before learning you're not meant to do it like this! Seemingly works OK most of the time though.not sure there is anywhere else that has unpainted metal to earth it to! Could sand down the tow hook and attach it so it's bare metal and clip it to that? Or sand down anything you won't particularly care about long term.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 678
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 10:23:53 am »
I've always done it that way and never had any problems.  Jumper packs are designed to be connected to the battery, which is no different to running leads from another car really! 

I certainly wouldn't jump a modern BMW or VAG with intelligent battery management systems, but old cars like the GTI, it's no biggie.  I've heard so many times over the years that jumping battery to battery is wrong, but no one has ever come up with a definitive reason as to why not  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Jamesf1010

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 08:27:04 pm »
Ended up getting a loan of a jump start kit and just did as you say, connect it to both of the battery terminals and all worked ok.

I actually went and replaced the battery yesterday as I think the one in the car may have been the original! Hopefully won't need to do it again anytime soon, car seems to start up a lot sharper than before so think it was probably overdue.

Thanks again

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 678
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2022, 08:34:20 am »
Good stuff.  These cars need as fairly hefty battery (096 I think) because of the EPS and direct injection etc.  I often see people cheaping out on the battery and fitting smaller ones, just because they happen to fit in the tray  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D