Make a donation

Author Topic: Console bush removal/installation tool  (Read 817 times)

Offline Freem82

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Console bush removal/installation tool
« on: September 26, 2022, 10:50:50 am »
Can anyone suggest a tool for the above that they've used and works please ? One ro remove and reinstall the console bush into the alloy housing.  There's a few on ebay but not sure if they are the correct size couplings etc.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
Re: Console bush removal/installation tool
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2022, 12:27:25 pm »
Have you found one that works yet?

I've seen this but haven't got around to it yet - https://www.amazon.co.uk/DR-TOOLS-Subframe-Control-Removal/dp/B07ZCB88R4

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Freem82

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2022, 05:07:12 pm »
I sacked it off after pressing out the old ones then trying to press them back in again on the consoles that came with the passat arms. Couldn't quite pull them all the way back in using m12 threaded bar, like literally 1/2mm off.
So I decided I couldn't be bothered and bought complete console housing and bushes from Hardrace, I had Hardrace throughout on my focus RS and they were very good, they don't use polyurethane, they use harden rubber instead. Anyway I got them fitted today along with new febi front bushes, a front whiteline arb and two new wishbone mounting brackets. They're good and the car feels much better now. Very happy with my decision.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 05:38:01 pm »
Nice one  :happy2:

Going by your experience, I think I'll just take the consoles and the S3 bushes down to a local workshop and get them to do it on their press  :grin:  That will no doubt be cheaper than buying a chinese tool that will probably snap in half!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Freem82

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2022, 06:55:29 pm »
Yeah good idea, it was starting to strip the threads on the bar towards the end, not worth the fight, probably cheaper to get the garage to do it than buy the tool anyway.