Make a donation

Author Topic: P2187 engine code, and oil light comes on even though I have oil?!  (Read 699 times)

Offline Beng96

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Hello all, I have recently bought my first mk5 GTI. The car is on 98k with stacks of history.

I was driving home last night and my EML came on so I scanned the code and it came up with the above code and “too lean at idle”. Has anyone had this issue? If so what was the issue so I can narrow down my search. I have a slightly lumpy idle also, I have ordered a pcv, cam follower and plugs.  :thinking: :thinking:

I also removed the sump a couple of days ago and cleaned the pick up pipe, replaced sump and fresh oil and filter etc. now at least once a journey the check oil level light comes on, so, I do and I have sufficient oil, close the bonnet and the light goes off. Any ideas on what this could be?

Many thanks in advance!

Offline fsgti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
Re: P2187 engine code, and oil light comes on even though I have oil?!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 05:04:53 pm »
Maybe check for any vacuum leaks as these can sometimes cause the engine to run lean. I know I had my engine running lean also with eml light. Found that one of the hoses were very loose (could very easily pull it off without much effort) a couple weeks ago. I have since fastened it with jubilee clips and that seems to have fixed the issues. Replacing the pcv, as you are, is also a good idea.

Offline SANDEGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 07:14:07 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  :happy2:

I think I had that code before and it turned out to be an air leak. Replacing the PCV may solve your problems, I think the fault could also be a faulty O2 sensor. Please check your intake is all on properly as I know this fault comes up a lot quite often and it's sometimes a pipe or connection that needs to be tightened somewhere.

EDIT: What a coincidence, our number plate starts with FE05 as well. Looks like a nice car bud.
Stage 2+ 2005 Laser Blue

Offline Beng96

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 08:14:21 pm »
Thanks gents I am thinking some sort of air leak or vacuum leak now, changed my plugs and pcv today and it’s improved but not quite gone, when I depress clutch (in neutral and stationary) the engine tone changes quite noticeably, kind of like when you put a golf R into sport mode is the best way I can describe it. Wondering if there is a vacuum leak in relation to this! I’ll keep you posted, have a cam follower to fit tomorrow!

For now I’ve cleared the codes and going to use the car for work tomorrow to see if the code returns.

Have a great evening gents