Make a donation

Author Topic: Boost loss / noise when losing boost  (Read 723 times)

Offline MK5GTIinside

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Boost loss / noise when losing boost
« on: October 24, 2022, 08:14:08 pm »
So recently my MK5 GTI 05 when i give it some it will start to hesitates could range from 40mph upto 80mph- a noise like a screaming cat stuck in the bonnet and loss of boost for a few seconds then comes back on boost the noise appears when it hesitates and doesn't boost for a few seconds anyone any ideas?

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=sl779ss37urk9r8d40feem81od&/topic,131272.0.html
Re: Boost loss / noise when losing boost
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2022, 12:15:36 pm »
Some possibilities that come to mind:
Diverter Valve - very common boost leak point for these engines, it's happened to most of us
Rocker cover gasket - less common but can be the cause, if it's really oily by the rocker cover seal then could be this

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 50
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2022, 12:24:40 pm »
A split DV will make a louder than normal pssssst! noise, almost like a blow off valve.......no boost all the time, or at least very little with the car driving like a NA 2.0

Screaming or screeching......sounds like a turbo issue to me.....the blades hitting the walls of the housing.
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline Fallout-NL

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2022, 04:17:38 pm »
Is the wastegate actuator ever known to cause issues like this on Mk5 GTI's?

I've recently replaced my DV, which improved the boost situation, but there's still times where I suspect I'm losing boost somewhere. Especially if I start accelerating from lower in the rev range, or at least, it seems that way.

Offline MK5GTIinside

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2022, 03:30:22 pm »
A split DV will make a louder than normal pssssst! noise, almost like a blow off valve.......no boost all the time, or at least very little with the car driving like a NA 2.0

Screaming or screeching......sounds like a turbo issue to me.....the blades hitting the walls of the housing.

Ye it sounds more like a screaming / screeching noise like you mentioned. more than any pssssst noise. may have to get it into a garage asap