All Things Mk5 > Members Rides

Marticus' Red GTI

(1/10) > >>

Marticus:
Hi Guys, I figured I would start a little thread for my new project.

The plan for this is for it to be a good all-rounder, that will let me ferry the kids to school a couple of times a week and do some track days on the weekend.

Nothing too extreme is on the cards, a general tidy up, some exterior mods, maybe some weight reduction where possible without sacrificing the livability, some handling upgrades, and a little bump in power eventually. But for now, i'm starting with the basics.

A few pictures of the starting point:

Marticus:

Marticus:
ive made the first of many changes to come, whilst not a mod this an upgrade for me, its time to de-chrome.

Look at this nastyness, what was the last owner thinking!  :sick:

So the first thing i did was order some low profile number plate holders, i found some with a red pinstripe which i though would fit ok without being too obnoxious.

Old v new

And fitted to the car

Only a small change, but a big difference to my eyes.

Next in relation to this im going to try and find a red GTI badge for the front. Im not sure what to do about the VW badges yet, the back needs to be replaced because the previous owner painted it black with a brush by the looks of it.. but im undecided where to go with that, i saw a nice example where someone colored behind the badge to match the body and then had dark badges, maybe ill try that, either way TBC..

Marticus:
Whew what a rollercoaster of a day. Took the car out to collect the kids and the check engine oil light came on.  :confused: level was still above minimum on the dipstick, but when i got back and checked the garage floor sure enough somethings been leaking fml.

So now i need to pick up some oil, top it up a bit and keep a close eye on things untill i can get to VW next week. Ill try and see if i can find the source of the leak in the meantime.

I swear ive got absolute crap luck buying cars, but im in this for the long haul so whatever she needs she will get.

On the other end of the rollercoaster these arrived today  :laugh:

Theyre pretty light so eventually they will be my trackday wheels i guess, but they conveniently came with a set of winter tyres on them, so they may be getting put on sooner..

Marticus:
No updates on the car today, but a funny anecdote.

Before I bought this car, I had been keeping my nose to the ground for something interesting to buy and one of the cars that kept catching my eye was the last gen celica, I was always a fan of jap cars, but what put me off is that they're very expensive over here in LHD land.

So anyhow I'm driving home with my daughter and what do we roll up behing at the lights, but a nice looking last gen celica with the TRD body kit and spoiler and huge exhaust, all the rest.

Of course my daughter is immediately smitten, and when I told her that was the other car I was thinking of buying she was very disappointed that I hadn't bought the sleek sports car with the big wing on the back.

To add fuel to the fire, the other driver had obviously noticed us looking at the car and given us a few revs as well.

So feeling suitably challenged by my daughters lack of faith and the other driver, when we moved off the celica promptly realised what a difference the extra few hp and huge amount of extra torque makes in the golf.

And so my ego is soothed and purchasing decision justified, only problem is now my daughter want to put a big spoiler on the back of the golf  :laugh: I did explain to her that they don't really work on hatchbacks, but she remains adament.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version