Make a donation

Author Topic: Increasing front camber - factory top mounts  (Read 806 times)

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 12
Increasing front camber - factory top mounts
« on: December 10, 2022, 02:23:04 pm »
Is there any play at all with the bolt holes for the factory top mounts? I’m talking about the front of the car. In some cars there is a decent amount of play at the bolt holes.

Aware that there are lots of other options (adjustable top mounts, camber bushes, adjustable arms, adjustable ball joints etc).

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
Re: Increasing front camber - factory top mounts
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2022, 05:52:44 pm »
There's very little clearance. If you loosen the top mounts and push them inward, hold and tighten them...you won't exceed the -0.50° ±0.50° spec by much. You may get it into the -1.00° to -1.20° range...maybe a bit more.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 08:25:47 pm »
So… went to get alignment done. Long story, could not get the job finished because one of the offset washers on one of the rear arms had rounded. So I need to go back.

At this point my front and rear subframes are fixed using locating collars.

When on the ramp I noticed that the front left wheel was -1.25 and the front right was -0.75. Not exactly that but very close. -1.24 and -0.76 or along those lines.

Before I got back I am going to loosen the front right top mount and try and get it as far inboard as possible. With the collars in the subframe that feels like my only real option.

If anybody has any advice please do share.

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 08:26:16 pm »
There's very little clearance. If you loosen the top mounts and push them inward, hold and tighten them...you won't exceed the -0.50° ±0.50° spec by much. You may get it into the -1.00° to -1.20° range...maybe a bit more.

Very helpful. Will have a go before the car goes back.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 01:47:42 pm »
When on the ramp I noticed that the front left wheel was -1.25 and the front right was -0.75. Not exactly that but very close. -1.24 and -0.76 or along those lines.

Many left the factory that out of whack  :grin:  Even with locking inserts and adjustable BJs, the best I could achieve was -1.2 and -1.5.  That was with one BJ fully outboard, and the other fully inboard.

Camber mismatching on the same axle doesn't really matter tbh.  It just means one steering direction will feel a bit keener than the other, but the toe has to be identical, obviously.

I wouldn't necessarily chase your tail over it.  Some cars align up pretty easily and others put up a fight.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D