Make a donation

Author Topic: Anti Lift Kit and B6 Arms - Anyone done it?  (Read 1228 times)

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 12
Anti Lift Kit and B6 Arms - Anyone done it?
« on: January 09, 2023, 07:39:56 pm »
As above. I have B6 arms and new OEM spec control arm bushes but I am wondering whether they have softened over the last few months. A bit disappointing if so!

I’m considering an anti lift kit like the Powerflex kit but wondering a bit about fitting. I originally tried S3 control arm bushes but found the B6 arms would not go on because they were too tight. Am I likely to have the same problem with the Powerflex ALK?

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: Anti Lift Kit and B6 Arms - Anyone done it?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 07:58:08 pm »
I’ve just read this. Hmm…

https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=120986.0

Edit: Having done some digging, it looks like Passat control arm bushes are different and I can’t tell whether it is because the bracket is different, because the bush size is different or both. Even Powerflex sells a separate ALK for the GTI and the Passat with different numbers.

I don’t doubt that things could be made to fit with a good level of persuasion, but I’m not sure I want the headache after the struggle I had trying to get S3 bushes to fit.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 09:25:02 pm by breeze »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2023, 11:36:27 am »
The GTI SuperPro ALK kit fitted my Passat arms no problem.

If the hexagonal end of the B6's arm is slightly chunkier than the GTI's steel arm, you wouldn't notice it.  Poly and rubber bushes have both needed hammering on to steel and alloy arms.  They're far from a slip fit. 

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline HughOR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 08:55:47 am »
Have you use of a hydraulic press? Going down this route myself shortly with OE solid bushes and B6 arms, so interested to see your progress. B6 arms are cheap and easy to get from a scrappie these days so seems a no brainer

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 09:44:36 am »
If you need a press, something clearly isn't right.  A bit of silicon lube on the arm and some whacks with a rubber mallet was all that was required in my case.

It's probably less hassle to use B6 specific bushes if there is any doubt.

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2023, 07:05:20 am »
The GTI SuperPro ALK kit fitted my Passat arms no problem.

If the hexagonal end of the B6's arm is slightly chunkier than the GTI's steel arm, you wouldn't notice it.  Poly and rubber bushes have both needed hammering on to steel and alloy arms.  They're far from a slip fit.

Thought I had responded to this… hex ends definitely slightly bigger on B6 arms. There is a definite difference to how bushes slide on, and mine were genuine arms.

I think everything can be made to fit, just that in my case I didn’t want to go that way.

The reply that I thought I had posted also said that in my case I suspect low tyre pressure and wet roads were the primary contributor, rather than softening of bushes that were less than 1k old. Pressures back up and all fine!

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2023, 07:07:42 am »
Have you use of a hydraulic press? Going down this route myself shortly with OE solid bushes and B6 arms, so interested to see your progress. B6 arms are cheap and easy to get from a scrappie these days so seems a no brainer

I could have got a local garage to do it.

Which solid bush are you thinking of? I have a post where I tried S3 but could not get on. Also Pudding I think pointed out that the carrier was also a different fit.

If you are replacing original 100k+bushes even factory will feel like a big improvement.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2023, 11:11:24 am »
Weird that as my GTI spec SuperPro consoles went on B6 arms OK.

Oh well, if they don't fit they don't fit. Maybe you'll have to get S3 bushes instead those wishbones should in theory be the same as the B6.

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 80
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2023, 04:24:35 pm »
The bush inserts are the same across the board - its just the aluminium console that differ with bolt holes in different locations to suit model subframe.
Polybushes can be pushed in by hand - but the rub is getting the old ones out are a little harder.
If you are going for OEM rubber - it will need press, large vice or a contraption of threaded rod/sockets etc.

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2023, 01:52:46 pm »
Weird that as my GTI spec SuperPro consoles went on B6 arms OK.

Oh well, if they don't fit they don't fit. Maybe you'll have to get S3 bushes instead those wishbones should in theory be the same as the B6.

I thought S3 had steel arms?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2023, 01:28:53 pm »
Nope. Alloy.

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2023, 09:13:33 pm »
The bush inserts are the same across the board - its just the aluminium console that differ with bolt holes in different locations to suit model subframe.
Polybushes can be pushed in by hand - but the rub is getting the old ones out are a little harder.
If you are going for OEM rubber - it will need press, large vice or a contraption of threaded rod/sockets etc.

Yep - Powerflex ALK part for S3 and MK5 is the same (it is drilled for both I think). I was thrown because Powerflex lists a different part number for the B6.

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2023, 09:14:41 pm »
Nope. Alloy.

Ahh it has come back to me… B6 chosen because they are so much easier to get.