Make a donation

Author Topic: Bought a 2007 GTI - wont start - coolant circulation pump fuse blown  (Read 639 times)

Offline Layphe

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
  • 2007 VW GTI 4D
Hello. I'm a new GTI owner (just recently picked one up). The car wasn't running when I got it, and I'm just starting to get working on it. Even with a new battery, the car still won't start. Today I inspected the fuses and found that the coolant circulation pump fuse (#15 in the engine bay fuse box) was blown. I replaced the fuse and tried starting the car, but no luck. I was hoping I could get some info on whether or not this could be preventing the car from starting/does this mean I need to replace the auxiliary coolant pump?

I should also mention that even though there's an engine light, EPC light, and a steering wheel light on the dash, I got no codes on my OBD reader.

Thanks a bunch - I'm excited to get my car running and driving.

Offline OllieVRS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 16
Re: Bought a 2007 GTI - wont start - coolant circulation pump fuse blown
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 11:38:09 pm »
Is the engine turning over at all? I doubt anything coolant related would stop the engine from running (initially at least).

Did the person you bought it from tell you if it has ever over-heated?

I can't speak for the engine light and epc light, but the steering wheel light is usually on after replacing the battery and clears after driving a few meters.
'06 Skoda Octavia vRS TFSI

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 80
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 08:37:14 pm »
Echoing Ollie - I dont see the coolant pump fuse causing non-start + those lights usually clear.

How long has it been parked up for?
Was it running when it was parked?
Check the basics - air, fuel, spark.
If it was running when parked, I would be thinking its more likely the fuel gummed up - you should be able to hear the in tank fuel pump should prime

Offline Layphe

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
  • 2007 VW GTI 4D
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 06:55:06 am »
Thank you for the advice.

The only info I got from the previous owner (about a week ago)

The car went into limp mode while driving. They pulled to the side of the road, and had it towed to a shop. I'm pretty sure the car hasn't been able to start since then. It does crank.

I plan on investigating fuel next. If anyone has any insight as to where I should start- it would be appreciated. Thanks again.