Make a donation

Author Topic: Smoke issue 56 plate DSG - Any advice appreciated :)  (Read 338 times)

Offline Gaz34

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Smoke issue 56 plate DSG - Any advice appreciated :)
« on: January 23, 2023, 10:39:15 pm »
Hi all,

I’m hoping someone might be able to give me some advice….

I’ve recently bought a 56 plate DSG with 124k miles and have been having worrying issues for the last week.

When I first bought it, it pulled great with no smoke etc but it had a slight misfire on idle and the EML was on. Was told the light was on due to the decat, scanned it with a mobile app before I bought it and it came up with oxygen sensor 2 so all seemed well.

The car has been remapped and has the following…
Revo SPS software
DSG software
3 inch turbo back exhaust
Ram air filter
Probably other bits but not sure.

Just for peace of mind I had the car serviced by a local independent garage.
New plugs, Quantum oil, oil filter, fuel filter and new coil packs to hopefully get rid of the misfire. Also had the thermostat and coolant changed at the same time along with oxygen sensor 1 as it flagged up when they scanned it with their equipment. They told me not to worry about sensor 2 as it was decatted. Will probably get a sports cat if I can get the car working properly. I picked up the car and it still had the misfire but it seemed less frequent… probably placebo though  :doh:

Last week I noticed that the car seemed to be very steamy even after it was up to temperature but I just put it down to the 0 degrees outside.

I was driving at the weekend when the drivers seat suddenly turned brown as I looked in my mirror and noticed a plume of grey smoke from the exhaust after I pulled away gently from standstill. I stopped and turned the car off straight away and checked the coolant fearing the head gasket had given up but to my surprise the coolant was bang on the full mark.

Ever since I’ve noticed the smoke. It’s only there when I pull off from standstill or idling. Once the revs come up it seems to go. The car had a new turbo 1 year ago so I’m hoping it’s not that. The boost is all there etc but the misfire is much more present and the engine is idling rough.

This morning I opened the oil cap and noticed the common milky oil on the cap. I then disconnected the PCV hose off of the intake and noticed the same stuff in the pipe.

Thinking it could be a bad PCV I cleaned it off and then blew through the hose but could not blow any air through it so I assume it is good?

Had it scanned today by a friends Snap-On machine and it came up with cylinder 3 misfire and then multiple misfires detected. Coolant level is where it should be and there’s no oil on the coolant tank.

I’m at a loss and feel I’ve bought a lemon car.

Any advice / suggestions on what to check would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 11:44:27 pm by Gaz34 »