Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk5 dsg - MF display goes off after steering wheel swap  (Read 501 times)

Offline Surrey gti

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Mk5 dsg - MF display goes off after steering wheel swap
« on: March 11, 2023, 04:10:41 pm »
Mk5 Gti Dsg 2006
Have just swapped the steering wheel to a better condition one and since fitting I am intermittently losing the centre cluster display ( it goes dim then comes back on) .

The car has never done this before just since the wheel change - could I have caused this by changing over the steering wheel?

Only difference between the 2 wheels was new one has the steering buttons prev one did not?

Offline skkane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
Re: Mk5 dsg - MF display goes off after steering wheel swap
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2023, 08:09:47 pm »
Did you also change the spiral clock spring / steering wheel control ring to the version which knows about the steering wheel controls?

I believe you also need 1K0953549CD and 1K0959653C  for the wheel buttons to work. It can mess a bunch of things up if u install multifunction wheel with the original (no multifunction control module / clock spring) but not 100% sure on it.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 08:14:31 pm by skkane »
2007 ED30

Offline Surrey gti

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2023, 08:13:36 pm »
Hi thanks for the reply yes I used the one from the new wheel
( and the buttons all worked fine once I reset all the codes with a snap on)

Offline GreigC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2023, 09:23:41 am »
Did you also change the spiral clock spring / steering wheel control ring to the version which knows about the steering wheel controls?

I believe you also need 1K0953549CD and 1K0959653C  for the wheel buttons to work. It can mess a bunch of things up if u install multifunction wheel with the original (no multifunction control module / clock spring) but not 100% sure on it.

I also thought this.

Offline blingsta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2023, 07:21:23 pm »
i added the mfsw buttons to my dsg a little while ago and its been ok.   but that was just the buttons and not the whole wheel. why dont you swop back and see if it changes?