Make a donation

Author Topic: Which Brake fluid is best?  (Read 1044 times)

Offline fsgti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Which Brake fluid is best?
« on: March 31, 2023, 12:00:02 pm »
Hey guys,
I am aware there is a thread n this already however it's from 2009 and thus outdated.

I was wondering what you guys use / think is the best brake fluid to run for fast road use. i am looking to get something better than standard OEM brake fluid.

2007 MK5 GTI with BWA engine

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 12:44:00 pm by fsgti »

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=5rkgac8rmbh5otmlr62921f990&/topic,131272.0.html
Re: Which Brake fluid is best?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2023, 12:06:08 pm »
Personally I would just use cheap pagid stuff from euro car parts, you can put race stuff in if you want but personally never found an issue with basic fluid on the road. I bed my race pads in quite aggressively with Pagid fluid usually and then change to race fluid for a track event and never had an issue with it, wouldnt use it on a track but fine for the road.

If you do want something better just because "why not" then Ate Type 200 fluid is like a budget race fluid that's way better than standard fluid but like half the price of a lot of other race fluids so a good compromise.

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 50
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2023, 12:26:34 pm »
I always get the genuine stuff from TPS.  It is about £7 a litre
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline fsgti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2023, 12:48:14 pm »
Personally I would just use cheap pagid stuff from euro car parts, you can put race stuff in if you want but personally never found an issue with basic fluid on the road. I bed my race pads in quite aggressively with Pagid fluid usually and then change to race fluid for a track event and never had an issue with it, wouldnt use it on a track but fine for the road.

If you do want something better just because "why not" then Ate Type 200 fluid is like a budget race fluid that's way better than standard fluid but like half the price of a lot of other race fluids so a good compromise.

When it comes to brakes, I would prefer to err on the side of caution, so ideally something better than standard fluid. I do alot of motorway driving so would like to have something that can reliably slow down from high speeds repeatedly (not to the extent of tack use necessarily). I will have a look into your 'ATE Type 200 suggestion'.
Thanks

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2023, 02:26:49 pm »
Yeah as mentioned already, just avoid cheap shat.

Take your pick:

Dealer stuff
Mobil
LiquiMoly
ATE Typ 200
Bosch ENV6
Motul
Pagid

It's all just bog standard DOT4 that needs to be replaced every 2 years regardless, so there really is no gain in buying expensive stuff.

Although saying that, I *think* the Bosch stuff can go 3 years before a change.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 38
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2023, 02:45:14 pm »
Ive never crashed using Pagid fluid which is good enough for me

Offline fsgti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2023, 03:00:00 pm »

Take your pick:

Dealer stuff
Mobil
LiquiMoly
ATE Typ 200
Bosch ENV6
Motul
Pagid

It's all just bog standard DOT4 that needs to be replaced every 2 years regardless, so there really is no gain in buying expensive stuff.

Sounds good, thanks for this!

Offline FatWelshBoy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2023, 06:51:46 pm »
I used ATE SL6 as TPS stopped selling to the public and it was the only stuff I could find that's VW approved for the ABS pump.

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2023, 06:13:02 am »
I really like AP Racing Factory R for fast road and occasional track use. Will put it in any performance car, even purely road cars.

As well as being able to take high temps (which I agree would be unlikely on the road), the pedal feel is the best I have ever come across. I do think some fluids can feel a little spongy under foot.

Offline fsgti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2023, 02:45:22 pm »

Take your pick:

Dealer stuff
Mobil
LiquiMoly
ATE Typ 200
Bosch ENV6
Motul
Pagid

Just a question: so it doesn't really matter if it meets the VW 501 14 spec for brake fluid?

Thanks

Offline fsgti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2023, 03:22:16 pm »

Do you usually get the Pagid DOT4 or DOT4 LV? I think the LV means 'low viscosity'

Thanks

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2023, 10:00:57 am »

Take your pick:

Dealer stuff
Mobil
LiquiMoly
ATE Typ 200
Bosch ENV6
Motul
Pagid

Just a question: so it doesn't really matter if it meets the VW 501 14 spec for brake fluid?

Thanks

Naah. DOT4 is the only specification you need to be concerned about.  I'm sure the VW stuff is decent quality but it's not worth the extra ££s over regular off the shelf stuff.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D