Make a donation

Author Topic: TTRS clutch vs helix?  (Read 2657 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
Re: TTRS clutch vs helix?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2023, 11:09:31 am »
@Pudding did you write the ad for AKS?  :signLOL:

Loving the sarcasm  :grin:

It's almost like they uploaded a draft by mistake as it's not their usual style  :grin: 

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2023, 11:21:05 am »
I'm happy with my Helix and will fit another when needed. The pedal with the TTRS kit is only slightly heavier than standard so my biggest concern is how long will it last for those up around 400 ft/lbs? I'm no expert on clutches but my simple mind struggles to see how it can have significantly more clamping force and it's not transmitted to the pedals weight? It'll be interesting to see where the TTRS kit is in a couple of years time when they start having some decent mileage put on them.

Well, this is the thing. No one has run one long term yet, but personally I never buy anything off the back of forum praise because people ALWAYS leave out context and negatives.

It can handle 400lbft with the TTRS friction disc.  With a GTI friction disc?  Who knows.

And you're right, there is no way you can gain +120lbft in torque capacity with no increase in pedal heft without some kind of next level pressure plate trickery, or a very sticky friction disc. I checked and the TTRS uses the same master and slave cylinders as the MK5, so there is no trick parts used there either.

I've read some reports of the clutch being very grabby and chattery initially, and then smooths out after 1000 miles bed in.  That suggests to me Audi's friction material is indeed very sticky.  The TTRS has 4WD load to deal with, and extra gross vehicle weight to haul off the line, so it needs to be grabby compared to a less demanding FWD car.

Anyway, if people are happy to blow £875 + fitting on an experimental setup, that's up to them!

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2023, 12:56:20 pm »
Friction materials are part of it too

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2023, 05:48:40 pm »
Afaik, the TTRS clutch kits have been popular in USA for over a decade so there should be plenty of data points to google. I personally would sooner have oem parts than aftermarket.

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/index.php?threads/build-your-own-rsr-clutch-kit-parts-list.273966/

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2023, 06:06:32 pm »
Shame the TTRS gearbox input shaft is bigger as it would be nice to use the friction disc as well for a like for like setup. The length of the pressure plate springs and their fulcrum point are tuned to the lining material thickness, which is why Helix use their own disc rather than a GTI one. So by using a completely different disc with a TTRS pressure plate, it's hard to say what the pedal consistency is going to be like after 30,40,50K miles and beyond.

You can get the pressure plate and disc for around £400, oem. I'm surprised no one has come up with an adapter sleeve to facilitate fitment of the TTRS disc.

The Helix whilst old school and hefty, is designed specifically for the application so feels exactly OEM, just heavier. 

Maybe retro fit the servo assisted clutch master cylinder from a Nissan Patrol  :grin:

Offline Birchy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2023, 10:32:36 pm »
I’m sure people will be more than happy with the TTRS clutch setup and there’s a lot of positive feedback regarding it which, along with having as close to stock pedal feel made for a compelling argument for going that route. But as previously mentioned…it’s a collection of parts designed for other uses that have been adapted. I went for the Helix because it was designed for a specific use. Having put around 200 miles on the Helix, my own thoughts are that the ‘heavy pedal’ is less heavy than I expected and whilst SLIGHTLY heavier than stock it gives better feedback through the pedal.

At the end of the day…
When all’s said and done…
In an ideal world…

I’m very happy with my choice and am grateful for the advice I received.

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2023, 04:56:43 pm »
Using the braided clutch hose eliminates the swirl pot and gives a lighter pedal and a more positive clutch action. I fitted this after taking out the bleeder block restrictor and the gear change became altogether more snickety-snick.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2023, 10:46:51 pm »
I’m sure people will be more than happy with the TTRS clutch setup and there’s a lot of positive feedback regarding it which, along with having as close to stock pedal feel made for a compelling argument for going that route. But as previously mentioned…it’s a collection of parts designed for other uses that have been adapted. I went for the Helix because it was designed for a specific use. Having put around 200 miles on the Helix, my own thoughts are that the ‘heavy pedal’ is less heavy than I expected and whilst SLIGHTLY heavier than stock it gives better feedback through the pedal.

At the end of the day…
When all’s said and done…
In an ideal world…

I’m very happy with my choice and am grateful for the advice I received.

I'm glad you're happy with it, which is all that matters at the end of the day  :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2023, 10:47:47 pm »
Using the braided clutch hose eliminates the swirl pot and gives a lighter pedal and a more positive clutch action. I fitted this after taking out the bleeder block restrictor and the gear change became altogether more snickety-snick.

Yep, completely agree with that. I used the Darkside clutch line and it was a great upgrade.