Make a donation

Author Topic: Clutch slip  (Read 33300 times)

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: Clutch slip
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2009, 07:59:53 am »
Cheers Steve,

Yes tried the new map to no avail.

Regards,

Gareth

Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30 No:- 2101, 3Dr, Tornado Red, Rear Tints, RCD510 & Sound Pack, Arm Rest
Mk1 Golf GTi 16v Helios Blue, Too Many Mods To List .... MY First Car ! Owned Since 1996 !!! NEARLY READY !!!!!

Offline MAT ED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2009, 08:17:36 am »
It's going to happen to us all running a map pure and simple

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2009, 08:30:27 am »
Am i right in saying that its torque that fooks the clutches??

Should I be worried even with 300lb/ft ?
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2009, 08:37:46 am »
It's running 300bhp plus all the torque that is given in 5th and 6th as the normal clutch can't cope for long, so if you mapping an ed30 budget for a clutch in the future as it will start to slip and my stage 1 was not on for ages so it's done about 7k with it on

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2009, 09:15:11 am »
gareth , I know how you feel ! stick with it though  :happy2: the route once you move away from std is never easy.
you could go back to stock , and I'm sure the clutch wont slip. And claim £ back from SC
or keep trying to resolve the map, or go back to the previous SC version with lower torque
(that may allow you to run a map but not req a clutch?)

Im not bowing to the clutch inevitability yet tbh. think how many ed30's are remapped by various tuners.
But the evidence is rising  :sad: and Im running a peak of 370lbft@3krpm so if anyones is gonna go its mine.......
played on my mind all thru santa pod runs tbh, I never really attempted to slip it.
I think 1 over zealous slip and its toast.........

for my interest what do you mean "ruined 2nd gear" ? I assume you mean power delivery + wheelspin etc is that right?

think of it as an opportuniy to fit a paddle clutch and LSD  :innocent:  :evilgrin:

hang in there m8, were all with you

[edit to add]
The K04 upgrade kits all have 330-360lbsft ish and none come with an uprated clutch.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 09:55:53 am by john_o »
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline Leeds s3

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2009, 10:51:31 am »
As prev said my clutch went on my s3 with a map and evoms so probably around the 310-315 bhp mark.  using the torque in high gears is what fooks the clutch up eg cruising in 6th and flooring it at quite lowe speeds is a killer. If you work the box more and use the revs that will help with the life of a clutch. Also the ed30/s3 clutches dont like to be ridden for hill starts so use your handbrakes a little more.
Many BMW'S and one bog standard MK5 3dr Golf GTI.

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2009, 12:54:39 pm »
Maybe DSG was the way to after all - still got to get uprated clutch packs from HPA though - finances permitting.  In the meantime, I'm not going to hammer the car - well I wouldn't hammer it anyway, except on the drag strip TBH.  :evilgrin:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2009, 01:41:52 pm »
Maybe DSG was the way to after all - still got to get uprated clutch packs from HPA though - finances permitting.  In the meantime, I'm not going to hammer the car - well I wouldn't hammer it anyway, except on the drag strip TBH.  :evilgrin:
no not at £2700 for a better clutch pack  :surprised: :P

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2009, 04:16:57 pm »
or stick with a stock car, after all did the quarter mile faster then some modded GTi's :  :wink: evilgrin:.Shame there wasnt a stock Manual there to compare.

Tis your choice , but prepare to spend if you do stick with it.Theres no easy way out, remap, then, comes brakes, intercoolers,suspention, anti lift kits,clutch packs,arb's,lsd's, and even carbon fibre fetishes and god knows what else!!! :signLOL:

That slope will get you eventually :scared:.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 04:20:02 pm by Phil Mcavity »

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2009, 04:26:57 pm »
it got me the day i was born  :signLOL: my dad modified old bikes and cars when i was young

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2009, 04:32:02 pm »
i would do it, but financial constraits and young family really dictate my choice

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2009, 04:33:20 pm »
i would do it, but financial constraits and young family really dictate my choice

same as me  :happy2: boy turns 2 on the 17th and i am at vw racing on the 19th :rolleye:

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2009, 04:57:47 pm »
Spoken to superchips today, they have told me to revert the car to standard, leave it until Monday and see if clutch still slips.  Either way to go back to them on Monday, problem is I'm noticing that it's now slipping in 5th and 6th ... am absolutely pi**ed off.  It's the fact that I really enjoyed the car until the remap, like I said, 2nd gear acceleration IS slower than stock, boost doesn't peak until 6000rpm ???? I used to get managment light on at 6500rpm with old map ???? DTC central with multiple misfires, misfrire cylinder 2 & 3, and now clutch slip in 5th & 6th.  Had 3 separate maps with superchips already and now on a custom map. They have told me of the ongoing and recent development on the ED30 manual and that the DSG and manual are now on par, and also that their demonstrater ED30 was pushing the limits more than their "customers maps" with no clutch trouble.  They stated that there may be a problem with my clutch and that they are not aware of any customers encountering clutch issues.

The alternator pulley clutch is squeaking so it is going back to VW for a new alternator, booked it in for next Thursday and stated that the clutch is slipping in 5th and 6th, service representative (friend of mine) stated that they have only changed 1 clutch in a GTi in the last 4 years ?? And mine is slipping at 13.5k miles  :scared:

I loved the car to bits when I bought in 6 months ... it's just starting to get on my wick a little now.

Am going out now to return to stock ...   :sad: :sad: :sad:

Gareth  :happy2:

Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30 No:- 2101, 3Dr, Tornado Red, Rear Tints, RCD510 & Sound Pack, Arm Rest
Mk1 Golf GTi 16v Helios Blue, Too Many Mods To List .... MY First Car ! Owned Since 1996 !!! NEARLY READY !!!!!

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: February 05, 2009, 05:03:24 pm »
it wont slip in stock but if its been slipping it might be best to change it then its a fit and forget about it and i will have a new stock vw clutch disc for sale as i dont need it

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2009, 05:07:42 pm »
N

same as me  :happy2: boy turns 2 on the 17th and i am at vw racing on the 19th :rolleye:
Nice to see you have your prioritys right matt!  :signLOL: :happy2: