Make a donation

Author Topic: Clutch slip  (Read 33356 times)

Offline MAT ED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
Clutch slip
« on: January 08, 2009, 03:33:02 pm »
Looks like i might be getting this in 5th and 6th gear and not all the time just once in a while as the revs drop from 4k to about 3k  :sad: i thought it was my tyres but have just put 2 new ones on the front so i cant be that. So has any one else had this happen to them as mine has just clocked 28k on a 57plate, so guys running bigger power ie stage 2 and 2+ your clutches must be having fun   :driver: . My car is in for a service on wednesday so they are going to have a look at it but i told them it only does it in 5th and 6th above 80 so i dont want your techs getting in it and ragging the sh1t out of it  :driver: :rolleye:

they did say there might be a problem with it so will try and get it done for free  :smiley: i hope so
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 03:41:31 pm by MAT ED30 »

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
Re: Clutch slip
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 03:42:22 pm »
mine used to do this, but stopped and hasnt done it for about 8 months.  :confused:

my turbo also stops working all together sometimes, so i have to turn the car off and start it back up, this hasnt happend for about 1 month.  :smiley:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 03:44:23 pm »
mine used to do this, but stopped and hasnt done it for about 8 months.  :confused:

my turbo also stops working all together sometimes, so i have to turn the car off and start it back up, this hasnt happend for about 1 month.  :smiley:

did awesome look at it for u?

Offline luca

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 04:17:08 pm »
hope it gets sorted matt. wont vw just blame it on the extra power from the map?

Tornado red ED30, Revo stage 2, ITG Panel filter, 3" Blueflame turbo back exhaust, leon cupra front brakes, ecs dogbone mount, WALK kit, Eibach sportlines, Satin black Monza II's, VWR/sachs paddle clutch

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 04:21:22 pm »
map will not be on so they have no reason to think it's the power but they did say they have heard some have been iffy

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 04:21:56 pm »

did awesome look at it for u?

no i forgot as it hasnt happened in a month, strange thow  :confused:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline luca

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 04:27:04 pm »
are you going bk to stock map via the select plus switch? does it stil slip in stock mode?

Tornado red ED30, Revo stage 2, ITG Panel filter, 3" Blueflame turbo back exhaust, leon cupra front brakes, ecs dogbone mount, WALK kit, Eibach sportlines, Satin black Monza II's, VWR/sachs paddle clutch

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 04:59:36 pm »

Is this happening when you accelerate very hard? - It could be the clutch taking up the power and, if so, it's better than there being no-leeway (a problem Audi quattro's can have apparently). Mine used to do it occasionally (quite rare) but not so often since the remap and never (yet) since the Quaife.

It's happened to me no more than 5 times in 60k miles.

:happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 05:08:16 pm »

sounds like limp mode, should be something logged.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 09:07:21 pm »
looks like it is clutch slip when the map is on  :rolleye: as it is happening alot to a few guys with mapped ed30/seat cupra as awesome gti have been getting a few emails about it. I have turned the map off now and it does not slip at all even if driven hard,so the map is not going back on before i get an uprated clutch for it to handle the power and its not going down the strip at pod unless its done  :sad:

so for people with a map on there ed30 be warned the stock clutch can not cope with the power or torque for long and will start to slip at some point in the future. i spoke to jonny c and his s3 did it when he the mapped K04 setup so be aware and also cohiba has started having the problem aswell as i spoke to him yesterday  :sad:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 09:23:41 pm by MAT ED30 »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 09:52:58 pm »
^^^^
I'm really sorry to be reading of such problems but, unfortunately, I'm not that surprised.

It's generally known (unofficially) that the Germans build big strength 'tolerances' in their engineering which allows a good margin of 'headroom' for modding/tuning. However, in upgrading the GTI to the Ed30, they didn't upgrade the DSG or manual gearbox AFAIK. And so the 'headroom' has been significantly reduced and hence greater potential for problems in plus-300 territory unless other components like clutches are further modified.

VWR's 330 bhp demo GTI (not Ed30) has a competition clutch and I must say I thought I'd have difficulty with it but it's a pussycat. The short-shift gearstick is trickier sometimes, but that's just me not being used to it yet.

Perhaps VW thought that us English wouldn't be mad enough to mod the Edition 30!

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 09:57:31 pm »
i am going for the vw racing clutch Robin and will be putting the order in next week  :happy2: and they said its good for over 400bhp  :smiley:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 10:16:11 pm »
i am going for the vw racing clutch Robin and will be putting the order in next week  :happy2: and they said its good for over 400bhp  :smiley:

....Good move! :happy2:

At the risk of sounding like a super-salesman for VWR, I've used them twice now and can't recommend them highly enough!

They're very honest too. My existing connector to my front ARB was rock solid and couldn't be undone. It had to be forced off and in doing so my brake hose was accidentally damaged. VWR supplied both a new link and a new ss braided hose (and appropriate brake fluid) and didn't charge me any extra to their original quote. Another workshop might have said: "Sorry sir, but we've discovered you got a broken part - It must have been like that before you came here" and then charged extra for fixing it.

As I'm sure you'll experience for yourself - You'll be in very good hands, mate.

:happy2:

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 10:17:12 pm »
I guess it comes with the territory on these cars  :sad:, the remaps/mods are taking the cars % wise way above stock.
I presume all the ones you are talking about are manuals?
At least its good to know VWR have a solution on hand  :happy2:  roughly whats the install costs?
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 10:20:16 pm »
I guess it comes with the territory on these cars  :sad:, the remaps/mods are taking the cars % wise way above stock.
I presume all the ones you are talking about are manuals?
At least its good to know VWR have a solution on hand  :happy2:  roughly whats the install costs?

not sure fella as i will be fitting mine  :rolleye: but i would think £150 at the most